IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Do I still need a Barrier Gland? (ATEX Installation)
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06 July 2012 08:36 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06 July 2012 08:36 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Anneon

Hi,
I have an EExd Certified enclosure that I need to install in a Zone 1 IIC T3 area. The enclosure is above 2L in volume. The normal rule here is that all entries shall be glanded using barrier glands.

In this case however the equipment that is installed in the EExd enclosure is certified EExnA.

Do I still need the barrier glands as there is technically no source of ignition?

Thanks
 06 July 2012 04:05 PM

asmcgeachie

You need to barrier your gland as what you are installing is certified to Zone 2 only. Therefore you need to comply with the certification requirements of the Zone 1 approved Exd enclosure to operate the equipment safely.
Regards
Andy

-------------------------
Andy

13 July 2012 11:33 AM

Anneon

Thanks for your response Andy, I expected as much.

This installation has the added complication of needing to gland in fibre optic cable (12 core multimode ) and ethernet cable to this enclosure as there is a media converter that will interface with machines installed in the area.

I understand that using a barrier gland on ethernet cable should be straight forward enough if wire-armoured cable is specified.

I am more unsure about how to gland off the fibre cable however. Assuming I source wire armoured fibres, is it just a matter of treating the individual fibre as if they were copper?

Thanks
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.