IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Anyone with Safety / Security Mgt. Experience Interested in Contributing to Devt of Viewpoint for TRAK EA Framework?
Topic Summary: Investigation / Development of an enterprise architecture viewpoint to address Risk/Threat for TRAK
Created On: 12 April 2012 06:30 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12 April 2012 06:30 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

nicplum

Firstly let me apologise because I'm not sure this is the right place. Then again there never has been the right place for systems engineering because its nature is that it doesn't sit neatly in one single category.

Many moons ago (2 years) we released an open source enterprise architecture framework, TRAK, aimed at systems engineers and being barely adequate, pragmatic and simple to use / understand. The main thrust is to produce views that describe real world architecture (relationships between various things) to promote communication and discussion and support analysis.

Although it originated within rail it isn't at all rail-specific since a system doesn't know it's used within a particular domain.

TRAK is based on the international standard - ISO/IEC 42010 for architecture description of systems. It has a set of viewpoints, each of which is a specification for a view that addresses a particular typical set of concerns. Each of these in turn uses a defined set of object types and relationships taken from the underlying metamodel.

For a while now I've thought that there is common ground between safety and security because both address risk, threats, vulnerability and manage the design such that there is an acceptable or tolerable risk. I've posted a description of these thoughts on the TRAK Viewpoints forum with a view to collecting some motivated people together to see whether enterprise architecture could help augment existing methods and whether there is an economical / sparse set of concepts, relationships from which some view might be drawn and therefore specified. I'm particularly keen to get anyone who has knowledge of security and the sorts of things the Cabinet Office require via the Security Policy Framework e.g. RMADS (which might itself comply with one of more ISOs in this area).

It may only be commenting on discussions or helping identify concepts since those of us more deeply involved with TRAK can interpret and implement. It's as much to get an idea of typical outputs, what they contain and therefore whether an EA framework can be of use.

If anyone is interested can they make themselves known on the TRAK Viewpoints forum please.

Thanks.

Nic

-------------------------
========
Epitaph: 'Under this sod lies another'

TRAK support: http://www.trak-community.org

TRAK training: http://www.eclectica-systems.co.uk/trak-training
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.