Increase font size
Topic Title: Commissioning
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03 January 2012 11:00 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03 January 2012 11:00 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Kev1n

I am looking for a clear definition of Commissioning, relating to engineering projects. Anyone got any ideas?
 03 January 2012 12:40 PM

gkenyon

I think the best round-up so far is in CIBSE Commissioning Code M "Commissioning Management", which in Clause M0.6 defines it as

"The advancement of an installation from the stage of static completion to full working order to specified requirements. It includes the setting to work of an installation, the regulation of the system, and the fint-tuning of the system."

And the same clause defines "Installation" as:
"Placing of a system and/or its components in position as required by the design or specification."

Some other standards (some system-specific, e.g. BS EN62381, IEC62381) do incorporate requirements and definitions for things like "Site Acceptance Test", "Integration Test", etc., that are part of overall "Commissioning" as defined by the CIBSE Commissioning Code.

-------------------------
Eur Ing Graham Kenyon CEng MIET
 03 January 2012 01:33 PM

Kev1n

Thanks for the info, appreciated
 11 January 2012 07:25 PM

Kev1n

Andrew,
Thanks for your reply. The defination is in relation new plant and equipment i.e: a new process plant or smaller installations such as a conveyor system
 11 January 2012 10:31 PM

gkenyon

Originally posted by: aburgar
These works are divided between hot and cold commissioning. these terms are applied roughly and clear definition is often required. I prefer cold commissioning to refer to all tests without the processed material and hot commisiong to apply when material is being processed. It doe not refer to the process temperature.
But what if we are talking about commissioning of systems that aren't "process industry", "chemical industry" etc.? The concepts of "hot" and "cold" as you define them don't really apply. For example, passenger processing systems in transportation infrastructure projects may be able to follow an approach "with trial passengers" and "without trial passengers", but the data gathered inthose two instances does not really equate in meaningful terms with "hot" and "cold" as you define them, and even the "with trial passengers" has a different relationship with the day-to-day operational environment to the "with processed material" and "without processed material" scenario.

11 January 2012 10:52 PM

OMS

Would "inactive" and "active" commissioning offer a wider definition ?

Regards

OMS

Failure is always an option
 16 January 2012 01:52 PM

gkenyon

Very true. the terms and and cold wouldnt apply, but the originator specifically asked about process commissioning in fact an example was a conveyor belt. My reply was specifically in relation to the request, not to a general comment
In that case wouldn't BS EN62381 apply?

16 January 2012 02:57 PM

gkenyon

Yes BSEN62381 would be the one, but depending on the original posters enquiry telling him its as defined in BS62381 might not help. Only big companies can afford to look in the standards. He may wel have wanted a simple explaination in a few lines. Which is usually why I use the internet forums. I get a bit of advice and then do more detailed study if required.
I'm not sure I follow the argument that "only big companies can afford to look in the standards".

They can be viewed at on-line in many local libraries. In fact, Lancashire Libraries users are very lucky in that they can view the standards on-line (but not print) from their own home computers !

I'm not sure that "couldn't afford to comply" is a get-out where the standard is safety-related, or maybe even performacne-related. Of course, the small business takes the risk.

I for one am for lower cost standards, maybe even FoC, but who would pay for them to be generated?

Commissioning can't really be defined in a "few lines" unless a catch-all definition as presented in the CIBSE document is used.

But the point I think you've missed entirely, is that you offered an explanation of "hot and cold commissioning" which doesn't really align with the explanation of the specified commissioning stages for Automation Systems as outlined in the standard ?

Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.