Topic Title: Recycling my freezer & washer
Topic Summary: A long, long way to go
Created On: 16 December 2011 06:49 PM
Related E&T article: GREEN BIN: UK recycling has a long way to go
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 16 December 2011 06:49 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

james0212

Our chest freezer thermostat packed in and we stopped using it. Fortunately when taking an old battery to the local council yard I saw a pile of fridges and freezers, so I asked if I could take a thermostat from one of these.
They said no. All these white goods are being collect by a firm some 150 miles away for recycling. There must be 50kg of iron at £300 a ton, a quantity of refrigerant to be disposed of, and a compressor with copper mixed with iron (always a problem for scrap merchants). The council pay to have these recycled, with my council tax, then they tell us they are recycling x%.

We have just scrapped our perfectly functioning washing machine because LG have no more door seals. We didn't buy an LG again although it has worked for 15 years without a hitch. Actually I have a Bosch washine machine in the garage, a friend gave it to me because he said the pump wasn't working, I told him the last time I saw such a problem it was a button. Never mind his mother-in-law had bought him a new one.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.