IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: How are mechanical engineers deployed in British industry?
Topic Summary: Help needed - volunteers to complete a survey.
Created On: 11 September 2011 10:34 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11 September 2011 10:34 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

AnnetteWaterson

Dear All,

I am a studying for a Masters of Science in Technology Strategy Research with the Open University. I am researching how mechanical engineers are deployed in British industry. This research will be used for my dissertation and contribute to the body of literature on engineering work. There seems to be a dearth of literature about what engineers actually do and in the Engineering UK 2011 report it states "there is a lack of awareness displayed about engineers in the general public".

I am looking for volunteers who are working in Britain as mechanical engineers to take my online survey. The questionnaire will take approximately 10 minutes to complete. The survey responses will be strictly confidential and anonymous.

The web-link to the questionnaire is
Link removed/s/GD8NK7V

If you have any questions or want to know more about my research, please email me on annette.waterson@my.open.ac.uk

Thank you for your time and support.

Annette Waterson
 16 September 2011 12:05 PM

AnnetteWaterson

Hello Alan,
Thank you for your reply.

My online questionnaire will ask the mechanical engineers about their job title, five main tasks they perform and tasks they perform which they consider to be 'not real engineering'. Whether they agree their expertise and time are being used effectively.

It will be interesting to see in the areas you discussed where only a Chartered engineer should be performing certain tasks, if in reality other engineers are also performing them.

For some reason part of the link to my questionnaire has been removed. I have emailed the moderator but I haven't received a reply yet.
My survey is at survey monkey. I will try to post it again but with gaps to hopefully avoid deletion. I will try to contact the moderator again.
https:// Link removed /s/GD8NK7V
Thank you for your time
Regards
Annette
 16 September 2011 02:52 PM

kasese

Completed your survey

Tim Guy
 16 September 2011 05:07 PM

rossall

Annette has fallen foul of our measures to prevent spam. While we resolve this, you may find her survey at SurveyMonkey.

Regards

-------------------------
David Rossall
The Institution of Engineering and Technology
 24 September 2011 10:59 PM

AnnetteWaterson

Thank you David for all your help with the survey link.
Thank you Tim and the other engineers who have kindly taken my survey so far.
I am still looking for more mechanical engineers to take the survey as I hope to have 100 replies to enable me to do some meaningful statistical analysis.
If there is anyone reading this forum who works with mechanical engineers who perhaps do not access this forum, I would be grateful if you could pass the details of the survey onto them.
Thanks once again for your time and support.
Annette
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.