Topic Title: Wave or Tide
Topic Summary:
Created On: 21 April 2011 04:16 PM
Related E&T article: The test of tides
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 21 April 2011 04:16 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

misceng

With the Danes producing wave machines and the Swedes producing tide machines when is Britain going to make some real progress in this field. I know about Strangford Lough but it is only one operating device. I have heard nothing about the development of the horizontal turbine since an article mentioned Oxford university had a laboratory trial of the idea. In Cornwall there is the basis of some wave development but it seems a feeble effort in view of the opportunities.
Here in Britain we are uniquely placed to take advantage of both wave and tide. There are two flood and two ebb tides available around Britain at all times and the West coast has an ample supply of waves yet all the emphasis is on the unreliable wind.

-------------------------
misceng
 21 April 2011 05:13 PM

jakegreenland

And against the backdrop of those benefits the severn tidal barrage was first proposed as an electricity generating scheme when my grandmother was a child and has been in varying stages of proposed development ever since.

It's a bit sad because it would be a great source of power locally and the construction would be a great project to watch come together. All that said the environmental impact would be huge so I guess it comes down to waiting until such a point where the potential clean power output outweighs the benefit we get from having the wetlands there.

Those tidal turbines they can raise and lower I've seen on the news show some promise and they will probably benefit from what people are learning from siting wind farms offshore.

-------------------------
Jake Greenland, CEng MIET.
CCIE #22595
 21 April 2011 09:05 PM

dlane

The next tidal project is set to be in the Sound of Islay off the Scottish coast due to be completed in a couple of years time.

Islay tidal project

The problem is that the technology is still be worked on to get the best efficiency out of the power available in what is a very harsh environment. The outputs available are increasing for tidal machines so they are becoming a better investment.

Wave technology is very flimbsy and has smaller output capacities so isn't as financially viable as wind turbines where investors know they will get their returns.

Kind regards

Donald Lane
 22 April 2011 09:58 AM

ArthurHall

There has been an experimental wave generator on Islay for many years, it uses hydrostatic pressure to turn a turbine.
The Scottish Government recently helped set up a reserch centre on the Cromerty firth to develop wave and tidal power
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.