IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Young Woman Engineer Award - For or Against?
Topic Summary: Debate around the award
Created On: 09 December 2010 04:09 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09 December 2010 04:09 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

svenableswood

Have your say about this award:

http://kn.theiet.org/magazine/...r-and-against-1018.cfm

-------------------------
Suzanne Venables-Wood BEng (Hons)MIET

13 December 2010 10:48 AM

svenableswood

Good feedback - you may also be interested in the discussion that is going on here:

http://www.linkedin.com/groupA...ect#commentID_27713273

Suzanne Venables-Wood BEng (Hons)MIET

13 December 2010 12:11 PM

danielscott

This award for Young Woman Engineers has been around for quite a while now and I personally do not have a problem with it.
However, why not an award for Young Male Engineer, especially if there are rumblings about the Young Woman Engineer award being outdated.

Daniel
 04 January 2011 12:02 PM

mbirdi

I presume this award is solely funded by the IET and therefore by it's members. Provided there is evidence to suggest there is an increase in young women Engineers and Technicians joining the IET then the award is justified.

Edited: 04 January 2011 at 12:11 PM by mbirdi
 04 January 2011 12:32 PM

weirb

Originally posted by: mbirdi

I presume this award is solely funded by the IET and therefore by it's members. Provided there is evidence to suggest there is an increase in young women Engineers and Technicians joining the IET then the award is justified.

The reward cannot be justified unless there is a similar category for Young Men,

Perspective CMMS
 04 January 2011 01:28 PM

westonpa

Maybe useful if the people who decided on this award let us know the reasons for it and then we can debate those. It could be the reasons are good ones or it could be they are a wishy washy attempt at social engineering.

Regards,
Phil.
 12 January 2011 01:36 PM

jasonpbarker

Personally I'm a big advocate of equality..

Having a separate award for women engineers, and therefore treating female engineers separately from male engineers, kind of undermines the principle of equality. As I see it, there's no reason why women are not able to compete equally with men as engineers.

If it's just a tool for encouraging young women to think about the vaibility of careers in "the male-dominated world of engineering", then isn't that further undermining it?

But since I'm neither young nor a woman, it doesn't really affect me, so I can't get particularly worked up about it in all honesty.

Jason Barker BEng (Hons) CEng MIET
 13 January 2011 05:05 PM

hamishbell

Jason,
I am also in favour of equality. However equality isn't engineering - there is no rule to set it up. Some 40 years or so ago (oh dear - he's reminiscing again!) I was instrumental in recruiting young women who had a good degree from non-engineering courses, to train as system analysts and then to write real time software for large systems. Without my influence we would have lost some extraordinay talent which would have been wasted in "soft" jobs. There was significant reluctance to employ them in what was an almost all-male environment. I also spent some time in all-girl schools, telling them about engineering and the careers that were available.

We have moved on from there, but there is still not equality and so it is still vital to inform and encourage.the other half of the population. In this, the IET and the Womens' Engineering Society are doing a great job. This award is just one exression of it and an excellent means of getting the idea into the public consciousness.

Regards
Hamish

Hamish V Bell, BSc, CEng, FIET, FCQI, CQP
2013 - 2016 Elected Council Member
2007 - 2010, Vice President and Trustee
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.