Increase font size
Topic Title: Career Help (Again)
Topic Summary:
Created On: 23 September 2010 09:38 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 23 September 2010 09:38 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

AshEng

Hi All,

Judging by other posts this seems to be a re-occuring theme so apologies if so.

Im wandering if anybody knows how easy/hard it would be to change from a test engineer to a design engineer career, preferably aerospace.

I have a BEng (Hons) degree in Mechanical Engineering (not very good grade) as well as 2 years experience as a Hydraulics test engineer working in filtration for aerospace, automotive and industrial purposes.

Anyway I've always wanted to be a design engineer and due to the fact my job has no career progression or any support to becoming chartered/incorporated I feel now is the time to move on but just dont know how to go about it or how I will look to potential employers.

Any tips/ advice etc would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance
Ash
 24 September 2010 12:01 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

DavidParr

Is it possible for you to create a good working relationship with the design department(s) at your current company? Do you contribute to the design of test components/fixtures for example?

One of my staff was originally an electronics test engineer who showed an interest in design, so he was encouraged to apply for a design role when it became available. Managers are looking for enthusiasm, and the fact you want to do design should be made known to the right people in your organisation.

One of my most talented designers happens to have a third class honours degree. Ten years later, that is totally irrelevant!

-------------------------
David Parr BSc.CEng MIET
PRA
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.