IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Where to find a 'Best Practice' reference for external (signal) cabling
Topic Summary:
Created On: 20 September 2010 09:04 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 20 September 2010 09:04 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

ColinP3

Is there an easily obtainable reference that I can consult please, (ideally a web-based resource from which I can extract and print relevant paragraphs) to support my opinion that a local cable TV installer should strip out and properly re-cable my neighbour's upgraded satellite setup?

In my own long electronics and IT background I only laid network cabling, never external signal cables pinned to a stone wall - but I know a shoddy job when I see it. This cable TV installer has pinned a bright white satellite cable at about chest height, along eight meters of a Georgian stone wall shared by my neighbor and myself. It's clearly visible to passers-by, and the apparently "domestic grade" P-Clips are at heights differing by as much as 10 inches. The original black cable ran at a discrete 5 inches or so above ground, and has just been coiled up and left hanging below her window.

I fear that this might be no more than an aeshetic grumble and that the cable installers might tell us to like it or lump it, but I'm darned sure that this job isn't up to any decent standard of workmanship, and I've always railed against bad workmanship.

I'd be grateful for any pointers to relevant and well-accepted Guidelines and/or Best Practice references that I can firmly but politely thrust under this cable installer's nose.

Thanks,
Colin

Edit:
I would still be grateful for any pointers to relevant info as in my posting above, but I now know that this tatty wiring job was NOT done by an established cable (or TV) company, but was done for my dear neighbour by "a chap she knows" - in other words, by an amateur.!

Although she didn't mean to mislead me, my neigbour has now corrected her earlier 'hint' to me that the work was done by a specific local TV company. Sorry to have leapt in haste. I now need to find a "proper" installer to strip out and re-do this scrappy wiring job!
Colin

Edited: 21 September 2010 at 04:58 PM by ColinP3
 21 September 2010 06:55 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

ColinP3

(Answering my own post ... )

I still haven't found any reference material about UK Codes of Practice, or links to anything that says what reasonable assurances of quality we should expect for work on external domestic (signal) cable installations ... but I have found these two accrediting / licensing organisations -

Confederation of Aerial Industries Ltd. (CAI)
http://www.cai.org.uk/

Registered Digital Installer - Licensing Body (RDI-LB, or as they invite us to use - "rdi-lb")
http://www.rdi-lb.tv/index.html

These rather good organisations should help me find a capable and high quality local company to "make good" this tatty wiring job mentioned above.

I note all the promises and plaudits that the CAI and rdi-lb give about their respective member companies and how we can expect delivery of "quality reception" and "good signal strength", but I'm disappointed that I can't yet see any mention on their websites of the "differently-important", less-technical end-products of such installations, namely secure, neat and as discrete-as-possible cable runs, removal and disposal of any replaced components, and the avoidance where possible of damage to stone-work, or to rendering or to woodwork.

I'm sure there must be something in their accreditation and assessment criteria about these aspects of their member companies' work! It's just a pity it seems so hard to find ...

Colin
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.