IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Asbestos arc shield replacement
Topic Summary: Are there any manufacturers out there?
Created On: 16 August 2010 02:39 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 16 August 2010 02:39 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

steg

At my current job we have alot of Reyrolle HH type switch boards, they were manufacturered at a time when asbestos was still seen as a gift from the gods.

We are managing work on these boards following HSE guidance in the Asbestos Essentials Book. In parallel with working procedures we are trying to replace where necessary with non-asbestos alternatives. I have door rope seals identified but cannot find any company who could make arc shields for the isolators.

Has anyone done this work or have you come across a company who could make the arc shields.

Any help would be appreciated.

Stephen
 03 September 2010 01:17 PM

Russell Barnes

We once considered using an Australian company to provide replacement arc-shields for Merlin-Gerin DSA 1-X-4 LV switchgear, and I am told that a replacement is avaliable for asbestos used in Ellison Spectar LV switchgear. Don't know about Reyrolle, though.

I have no idea of costs, and I appreciate that the above information is somewhat vague with regard to your enquiry. I shall make a few enquiries and get back, sometime, with further contact details.

I take it you've tried t'internet?

-------------------------

Regds,

Russell W. B.
I. Eng., MIET
 04 September 2010 11:09 AM

seeker

Originally posted by: steg

At my current job we have alot of Reyrolle HH type switch boards, they were manufacturered at a time when asbestos was still seen as a gift from the gods.

We are managing work on these boards following HSE guidance in the Asbestos Essentials Book. In parallel with working procedures we are trying to replace where necessary with non-asbestos alternatives. I have door rope seals identified but cannot find any company who could make arc shields for the isolators.

Has anyone done this work or have you come across a company who could make the arc shields.

Any help would be appreciated.

Stephen

I'm not familiar with the particular unit mentioned but the space industry spawned a material called fibrefax (fiberfrax?) which is used for heat shield tiles and was gleefully taken up by the heating industry as an asbestos replacement. You might like to explore the possibilities of this stuff.
 09 September 2010 07:56 PM

phow

Stephen. I have a site full of electrical equipment & distributiuon boards with various "Asbestos Containing Materials" (ACM). It is treated as akin to asbestos cement. I have a register , and we attempt to replace equipment as projects and maintenance budget will allow. The HSE have said provided ACMs are managed properly it is probably safest to leave in situ until demolished or removed entirely. So all ACM boards are fully marked, all electricians trained, procedures for removal in place, but otherwise we leave it alone. Having said that I managed to get our last Reyrolle Belmos 415v OCB board removed this summer - 50yrs old!
Best Wishes Peter
 09 September 2010 08:03 PM

phow

Stephen
PS have you looked for asbestos tape in ceramic wire fuse boards and as ACM phase barriers in fuse boards and as cement on overload coils in old DOL starters?
Peter
 12 October 2010 04:20 PM

peterfranksharp1

Hi Stephen,

I guess we have already found each other. I have been searching the internet for Reyrolle HH switchgear and found your enquiry which we have already been discussing. My first foray into industrial forums!

Kind regards,

Peter Sharp

Tenmat.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.