IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Routine Maintenance and Testing - Voluntary, Compulsory or Mandatory
Topic Summary: Routine Maintenance and Testing
Created On: 28 July 2010 02:17 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 28 July 2010 02:17 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

BMSpence

If the Building regulations are a legal requirement and British Standard is referred to as a 'code of practice'.

My question is, in some situations Fire Alarms and Emergency Lighting are mandatory - 'What about the routine maintenance and testing of these systems'?

Where the British Standard recommends routine maintenance and testing for Electrical Installations, Fire Alarms, Emergency Lighting, I cannot find any reference to them in the Building regulations.

Therefore, is "Routine Maintenance and Testing" of these systems Voluntary, Compulsory or Mandatory under the Building regulations?

I have been in contact with the Building Regulations people and they have been no help at all.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.
 28 July 2010 09:06 PM

jcm256

Suggest you put your question in the Wiring and Regulations Forum.
jcm
 29 July 2010 09:21 AM

westonpa

There are requirements to maintain equipment and systems under health and safety legislation and also any proper risk assessment, as required under health and safety legislation, would would require a fire alarm system to be properly maintained.

Regards.
 30 July 2010 12:28 PM

chartassuk

Originally posted by: BMSpence

If the Building regulations are a legal requirement and British Standard is referred to as a 'code of practice'.

My question is, in some situations Fire Alarms and Emergency Lighting are mandatory - 'What about the routine maintenance and testing of these systems'?

Where the British Standard recommends routine maintenance and testing for Electrical Installations, Fire Alarms, Emergency Lighting, I cannot find any reference to them in the Building regulations.

Therefore, is "Routine Maintenance and Testing" of these systems Voluntary, Compulsory or Mandatory under the Building regulations?

I have been in contact with the Building Regulations people and they have been no help at all.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

For emergency lighting BS5266 gives guidance on frequency and type of testing.
For fire alarm systems BS5389 does the same.
BS7671 for electrical installations.

While the above are guidance documents, they would be referred to if an incident/accident occured.

So, in order to comply with EAW89, PUWER98, the Regulatory Reform (Fire safety) Order 2005, and thus HASAW74 and the management of HASAW99...and therefore provide a safe workplace, it would be a very good idea for duty holders to follow the BS guidance.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.