IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Asbestos in fuseboards and switchgear
Topic Summary: Access to and working within fuseboards and switchgear that contain asbestos material
Created On: 31 March 2010 11:43 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 31 March 2010 11:43 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

wparmstrong

At my present location we have a large amount of switchgear and a large number of fuseboards that contain either asbestos-containing arc shields, insulators or rope seals.

Whilst fully aware of HSE guidance note a30 - Removing an asbestos-containing 'Arc Shield' from electrical switchgear and all associated em notes, I would be interested to know how others are dealing with everyday activities such as installing new circuits to older fuseboards and disconnection of redundant circuits/plant equipment.

What precautions are being taken in the wider community when carrying out routine maintenance on older switchgear ( OCB/ACB etc.)

P. Armstrong
 31 March 2010 11:59 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

OMS

I guess it depends on client attitude - when we encounter it on some projects it gets rolled into a larger refurb and is swapped out. On others the clients just have an embargo on it and leave it in situ for a future (usually unspecifed) point. Others seem to treat the whole issue with carefree abandon - I recently came across two sparks trying to get T&E into a very old HRC fuseboard with asbestos gaskets, arc shields and arc pads wearing light duty dust masks !! ).

I guess the point I always try to make is that regrdless of the specific ACM issue the kit is likley to be time expired both technically and financially so removal and replacement is a sensible approach. That said, I avoid giving specific advice on ACM's from a professional indemnity standpoint.

Regards

OMS

-------------------------
Failure is always an option
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.