IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: You need ID to buy a screwdriver?!
Topic Summary: Mental note - Don't wear hoody to the hardware store...
Created On: 23 November 2009 02:42 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12 January 2010 11:46 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

amandalewin

Well yes carrying knives is bad and it's important to remember what you have in your pockets, I know many a person who has had to give up a well loved pen knife at the airport because they forgot to take it out their bag.

But me wonders how much of a difference stopping people under 18 from buying a screwdriver makes? Believe it or not people over the age of 18 have been known to commit crime too. Kids tend to live with adults, adults tend to have tools and kitchenware around the house, surely thats a much better source of sharp implements?

-------------------------
Amanda

'At some point we all must chose between what is right and what is awesome'
 12 January 2010 03:46 PM

bkirby

Originally posted by: amandalewin

Well yes carrying knives is bad and it's important to remember what you have in your pockets, I know many a person who has had to give up a well loved pen knife at the airport because they forgot to take it out their bag.

But me wonders how much of a difference stopping people under 18 from buying a screwdriver makes? Believe it or not people over the age of 18 have been known to commit crime too. Kids tend to live with adults, adults tend to have tools and kitchenware around the house, surely thats a much better source of sharp implements?

Shhh, don't tell everyone, or everyone will realise it :-)

Personally I know of no real reason to restrict Screwdrivers over anything else (under law) and its probably the shops own policy being careful. I wonder if you have to be 21 to buy a phillips head, as they are more pointy?

Barry Kirby BEng (Hons) CEng MIET(MIEE)

"There is no engineering problem that can't be fixed with an appropriate sized hammer"

"At the end of the day.....It gets Dark"

Systems Engineering TPN
 12 January 2010 05:08 PM

normcall

"The guidance for our starting point at the moment is Jail unless you have a good reason for carrying it."

I wonder If I'm on the right planet. I always carry a pen knife.
In my caravan, I also have one with screwdrivers, scissors, file attached.

How about this for an excuse? One of our spaniels got the fur on her ears caught on some barbed wire and with her yelling her little heart out, we had to cut the hair from the wire - with my handy pen knife.

Good enough?

Norman
 12 January 2010 10:42 PM

paulskyrme

Relating to the OP, it appears that a 16 yo apprentice can no longer buy or be in control of his own tools, so how are they supposed to learn?

True story here!
Same way I suppose as a business acquaintance of mine was not allowed to take on a trainee chef unless they were kept away from sharp knives and other sharp implements so they could not cut themselves, nor were they allowed near hot cookers etc. in cases they burned themselves.
Quite how you can train someone in this situation to be a chef beggars belief!
However, this was what the training provider insisted upon, with no exceptions, needless to say no apprenticeship could be offered, no wonder trades are dying out!
Paul
 13 January 2010 12:38 PM

westonpa

Originally posted by: paulskyrme

Relating to the OP, it appears that a 16 yo apprentice can no longer buy or be in control of his own tools, so how are they supposed to learn?

True story here!

Same way I suppose as a business acquaintance of mine was not allowed to take on a trainee chef unless they were kept away from sharp knives and other sharp implements so they could not cut themselves, nor were they allowed near hot cookers etc. in cases they burned themselves.

However, this was what the training provider insisted upon, with no exceptions, needless to say no apprenticeship could be offered, no wonder trades are dying out!

Paul

A very good and valid point.

Maybe you should post this as a new thread and we can debate it and also discuss where we think we will end up if the situation continues.

Regards.
 02 March 2010 09:31 AM

JamesGarrity

As foot passengers on the Plymouth to Roscoff ferry we were stopped after the X-ray machine found my kitchen knives securely wrapped in the suitcase. We held up the sailing by 15 minutes while the knives were passed to the crew for safe keeping. Talk about embarrisment!

James Garrity BEng (Hons) MIET
 23 March 2010 03:37 PM

amandalewin

Originally posted by: paulskyrme

True story here!

Paul

I'd be interested to hear if any apprentices have had issues either buying items or being stopped on the way to/from work. I do have a friend who when working as a contract chef had issues carrying his knives around.

Amanda

23 March 2010 03:42 PM

amandalewin

Originally posted by: JamesGarrity

As foot passengers on the Plymouth to Roscoff ferry we were stopped after the X-ray machine found my kitchen knives securely wrapped in the suitcase. We held up the sailing by 15 minutes while the knives were passed to the crew for safe keeping. Talk about embarrisment!

The first time I went on Eurostar was a camping trip in Belguim to watch the F1, we decided to save money by cooking and I packed all my camping gear including cooking stove...

Needless to say customes were not amused, and in hindsight it was pretty silly to try and take a gas canister but I just thought 'hey its a train, its not like an airport right?'

We ended up having pizza all weekend.

Amanda

Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.