Increase font size
Topic Title: Photometric Measurement Tool on AGL Fittings
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06 August 2011 12:01 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06 August 2011 12:01 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

kclau

I'm glad that there is a forum for AGL experience sharing in IET. Do you have any experience on using the mobile photometric measurement tool? There are two famous brand in the market. One is using a linear sensor array tool mounting at the front of the vehicle and one is using a several sensors at different position mounting on a trailer at the vehicle back. Which type are you using? Any problem on your tool? I'm using the one in front of the vehicle. The problem is difficult to align with the light that causes the results are not accurate and the vehicle headlight needs to switch off for measurement that poses safety problem.
 12 August 2011 02:57 PM

SGMartin

I have some experience with the trailer mounted version supplied by TMS. When they carry out the tests themselves the results are normally very comprehensive and accurate. With airfield staff operating the equipment the results are more dependant upon the level of expertise and experience available. There is a user group in UK which has also helped to build up the knowledge of the operators. There are now a significant number of airports with their own trailers so we should be able to build up some interesting information on this type.

I don't believe that the front mounted type that you are using is as popular at the moment and I don't know of any UK airports with this equipment although one or two have had trials with it.

Hopefully we can generate some useful knowledge sharing via this forum.

Can anybody on the AGL Competency Working Group add some feedback to this topic?
 18 August 2011 09:07 AM

franwick

At Manchester we have been using the TMS trailer and workshop bench tester for a number of years. We have found the equipment to be reliable and the results accurate and usefull.

Both systems have enabled us to operate a positive and proactive approach to maintenance both on the airfield and in the fitting workshop. In some areas we have been able to reduce costs.

In the early days the technicians would carry out a MALMS run, return the results to the office in order to produce a course repair report for the next shift of technicians to action.

Human nature being what it is we found in some cases this generated a culture where technicians would carry out a run on their last shift so that any work required would fall onto a different team starting their shifts the next night.

We have RFID tagged the centreline and edge lights on runway 2 and are about to trial MALMS Engineer via a Tablet PC in order to carry out inspections, MALMS runs and repairs on this runway.

The objective is to give full control to the technicians to prioritise and schedule work through MALM Engineer which hopefully will leed to them taking ownership of the system.

As with most new technoligies we have found that it can generate questions as well as answers but does make us revisit are working practices which overall have improved the photometric performance of our AGL (we are still working on the different colour greens)
 12 April 2012 10:58 AM

woodsy

Id like to wish Vernon Taylor a very happy retirement!
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.