Increase font size
Topic Title: IEng or CEng
Topic Summary:
Created On: 31 October 2013 07:26 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 31 October 2013 07:26 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

benmc

Hi,

I was looking for some info/advice from people if possible regarding the two categories.

I have recently started in a graduate engineers position at Woodgroup and have joined onto there CPD scheme, but my main question is what should i be working towards IEng or CEng?

A little background information:

Time served advanced apprentice
- NVQ 2
- NVQ 3
- ONC
- HNC
-Foundation Degree
- BEng (Hons) 2:1
- TMIET (Will be progressing onto MIET)
- EngTech (Waiting for final result however no problems arose)
- BS7671 IET 17th Ed Wiring Regs
- Various in house courses from previous companies
- New training structure on accredited Graduate Scheme
- 6 years "on the tools"

I may have missed some parts off but as you can see I do not hold a masters degree, but do hold an actual trade in sense of time served. could anyone shed some light on what my best option is between the IEng and CEng?

Would it be worth working towards the IEng and later on progressing towards CEng?

Sorry about the lack of structure just slightly confused where to go next.

Thanks

Ben
 31 October 2013 09:30 AM

benmc

Just to also clear up I have recieved my EngTech today
 31 October 2013 01:20 PM

davidburke

Ben,

Looking at your qualifications you look able to qualify for IEng, as you are a graduate engineer I am assuming your role is limiting in terms of technical and commercial leadership skills and also using your theoretical and practical methods to analyse and solve a technical and/or engineering problems? I believe these are skills needed to gain CEng and require experience in Industry to achieve. I would recommend going down the route of IEng and then gaining the relevant experience to gain CEng, maybe look at doing your Masters (MEng), maybe do this as distance learning in your own time?

More information is on the links below;

http://www.theiet.org/membership/profreg/ieng/

http://www.theiet.org/membership/profreg/ceng/

Before starting you should speak to an IET advisor and then register your interest.

I am currently working towards the IEng; I took a different route by completing an engineering apprenticeship whilst completing ONC, HNC, on a day release at college. I am now at uni doing the BEng on a day release so hopefully once I complete this, I can use my experience in industry as well as my qualification to submit for IENG.

Hope this assists you.

David
 31 October 2013 01:26 PM

davidburke

Ben,

Just seen your update, I would recommend booking in to speak to an IET advisor and discuss your situation, as you have done an apprenticeship and are currently active in industry, your experience + plus qualifications should be more than enough to prove theoretical and practical competency in engineering and would therefore gain you IEng status. (You would just have to complete your CPD and make sure your continuously looking to improve and develop your skill set.)

I will keep the previous message on for those who are graduates seeking the same answers.

David
 07 November 2013 08:59 AM

benmc

Hi David

Thanks for your reply very informative! I need to organize things properly within my career manager as from when they have changed it i have been unsure of whats what again and have made some mistakes through it, i have a meeting with the IET in a week and a halves time so i can ask a good few questions there in the meantime i shall start working on getting all certs inputted with the career manager etc.

Thanks Again

Ben
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.