IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Completed HND Electrical looking at an NVQ level 3 Electrical
Topic Summary: Is it worth doing an NVQ level 3 for the qualification/ Cert?
Created On: 26 April 2013 10:29 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 26 April 2013 10:29 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

danc2188

Perhaps in some peoples eyes this is a little bit of a 'backwards way of working' however i have looked at job after job in the Oil & Gas industry and there seems to be a lot of opportunity for someone who is 'hands on/ on the tools'

I have been quoting, designing, ordering, programming, testing, commissioning electrical control systems for the past four years now and in this time i have been hands on, (pulling cables, wiring circuits, fault finding, installations work, testing, motors, pumps, control panels, external kit such as various types of switches, etc) I have, however gone through the main route of design and plc programming.

What i would like to know i, would it be worth it/ benefical for me to go back to school and pick up a NVQ level 3 electrical qualification in order to begin work that way for a company in a new industry? I believe there are courses where i can gain this qualification within a year and have been practicing it over the majority of the past four years. If so how would you go about doing so? I am starting my degree top up September 2014 and therefore have a year free to start to look at these courses.

Please help, i am 25 years old and thinking it would be worth doing sooner than later if i should do it or not. I have no idea what i am aiming for as specific role, but i do think i would like to gain entry to Oil & Gas or Mining and Drilling due to the finanical and relocation aspects of the job.

Thank you to anyone who may provide assistance.

Regards

Daniel

-------------------------
ipsa scientia potestas est
 18 May 2013 10:41 PM

Richard88

Hi Daniel,

Sorry if any of this sounds patronizing, as i don't know how much you know ive cut to the basic point?

I was in the position you are in now, basically went through the design route, done my HND ... but have now gone to work for contractors. I have moved onto the tools, into a team and there are certain requirements, such as an ecs card which we need to get on site. The ecs card is provided with "stages" something somewhat like an accreditation stating your level of knowledge and experience through the JIB (Joint Industry Board). To cut a long story short, you have to have a certain level of qualifications to gain a specific card which indicates your competence as someone on the tools. For Electricians you can get a card which says Electrician or approved electrician. For both you must have completed the C&G 2357 (formerly the 2330), for approved electrician you must have that, some experience and the test and inspect i believe.

Your HND would fall under technician status, but unfortunately it does not mean that you competent with screwdrivers so the 2357 needs to be done. You can however skip units, my college let me, if you can prove you have already undertaken and passed certain modules. i think im managing to trim a year and a half off of what could potentially be a 3 year course.

Hope this helps.

All the best

Rich
 25 June 2013 07:56 PM

peteTLM

Daniel,

Its a shame you didnt ask this question at the beginning of the year as entry to the 2356 NVQ was still open after being extended again and again for something like 18 months over its old expiry date. You could have done this in a couple of weeks.
Personally id go and have a word with the head of department in electrical at your local college and see what units you can do and skip.

-------------------------
----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.