IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Finding a job in telecommunications/RF/Communications engineering
Topic Summary: Job seeking advice for a MSC graduate in the electronics and communications engineering field
Created On: 28 February 2013 07:00 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 28 February 2013 07:00 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Nahid009

Hi,

I graduated with an MSC in Satellite and Mobile Communications and am currently looking for employment in the related fields like RF/Telecomms/Wireless systems engineering. But during my search I have observed that these fields require years and years of previous experience and when I send off my CV detailing what I did at University I never get any response.

Therefore, I was wondering if anyone can advice me about how people start off getting a job in these fields i.e. RF design/testing/Telecommunications jobs when they keep asking for experience from applicants? Do they not provide initial training in the job? Why is previous experience required if thats the case?

I know there are graduate schemes but these don't seem like the best chance of getting a job. Are there any ways to gain experience in these fields to start off with? or Getting an entry level position and work your way up?

Thanks,

N
 28 February 2013 07:58 PM

MAWilson

I'm not certain my advice is current as I haven't been in the Telecoms industry for almost a decade and this was at the service engineering/technician level out of college but I think you should look at professional certifications like Cisco or Nortel (don't know how relevant Nortel is now, Motorola was catching on in mobile communications from memory). It might help with the requirements for experience.
 12 September 2013 10:37 PM

kairongurprem

Hi,
I am a new graduated with less than one year in Telecom field.
I have graduated from Wireless Telecommunications from Humber College, Toronto, ON. Recently, I moved to Calgary in search of opportunities but could not get a job. Is there any one who can help me in finding the job, so that I can start my career. I would be very thankful to you.
Please reply if you have something in your mind
 17 September 2013 08:33 PM

kengreen

To you All,

There is far too much emphasis put these days on academic qualifications and I feel that it is a mistake - on the part of jobseekers! My experience of working alongside very well qualified people in their early twenties who have recently left college or university is, to be frank, is that they are to a large extent useless.
if I may give you but one example: I was calibrating an aerial for use in a measuring set up when one of our "vacation students" entered and observed that I was using a grade-1 Avometer - he thumped onthe bench and stormed off shouting: "isn't ANYTHING done from first principles in this place?"

He was not mollified by my reply that the Avometer was indeed our instrument of first principles if only because, in the non-academic world, we did not have time to play with brass bound buggery boxes.

I also gave a first lesson to many students in the art of designing amplifiers yet they were certainly more highly qualified than myself. The point I wish to make is that there is not, and cannot be, a choice between learning and experience but, if a choice has to be made, the experienced man will win every time. Thethe subject matter is not terribly important although of course is much better if it is relevant.

Ken Green
 20 January 2014 05:26 AM

hjeff045

Firstly you can take some months training from a company. From this training experience you can get the job.

-------------------------
https://au.igrads.com
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.