Increase font size
Topic Title: Spanish electrical engineer needing advice
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02 January 2013 09:50 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02 January 2013 09:50 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

David84

Good night everyone,

I come to you in search of some help and advice. I am an electrical engineer, I finished my degree in Spain over a year ago now and moved over to England with my wife. Since then I have been trying to improve my English and for a couple of months now I have been also looking for a job. I have applied for quite a lot offers now but I'm getting no answers back whatsoever. I have no true work experience but did work with a company for the degree's practicum for ten months, still no UK experience yet.

My questions are:
Will I need to register with a proffesional body in the UK to be able to work as an engineer?

Will I need to convalidate my degree to be able to work here? If so, is it done through Naric or which organization?

Would you please recommend me an effective way to search for a job? Even if it is a simple job like an assistant, I don't mind as long as I can start gaining experience.

And regarding the last question, do you think I could be elegible for an apprenticeship or that is just for newly qualified engineers?

I've got my CV translated to English but I'm afraid it has not been too helpful up til now, any advice on how to do my CV for it to be more attractive?

Any of the information you could give me would be truly appreciated, thank you very much in advance for your help.

David
 24 February 2013 10:05 PM

KBermokiz1

Hi David84,

I transmit you the counsel I heard to an experienced English electrical engineer. Regarding holders of a foreign university degree, he recommended to become member of a recognised professional national association/institution, as it is the IET.

The reason is that the variety of technical degrees from different countries is wide and foreign degrees can create doubts in their interpretation, even if your degree is Ingeniero Superior (5 years Masters + final year project) by an Escuela Tecnica Superior de Ingenieros of Spain.

However, it is supposed that a professional that has obtained the "aknowledgement" of the IET after presenting the required credentials and documentation, is already "validated".

I'm afraid I cannot help you with the other questions.

Good luck.
 24 March 2013 02:52 AM

GodisGreat

With regards to finding a job, I am in a similar kind of conundrum, I have been a graduate for over a year now, but still no success in finding an engineering role.

I had interviews in the past, and I have a couple of interviews lined up, so I am hoping something will come out of either of them. Therefore I will tell you the things I have been doing, to get interviews

Ideally, as a fresh graduate , you should aim at graduate level jobs, i.e graduate schemes, they usually require no previous engineering work experience, try graduate websites i.e gradcracker. I do not advise recruitment agencies as I found them utterly useless for graduates with no experience, but you can try them you might have better luck than mine.

For graduate schemes, passing a numerical and/or a logical reasoning tests are usually a requirement before being invited for an interview, so work on improving these skills.

Ideally, Your CV should be a reflection of the job description, do not belittle non-engineering experience you had in the past, employers look at these to find out about your personality.

With regards to the validity of your Spanish degree in the UK, I advise you to contact the IET or the Engineering Council for information.

I wish you all the best in your job-hunt
 19 October 2013 03:24 PM

SunilAlex

Hey Gents.
May I have your emails to get in touch?
 12 March 2014 11:46 AM

hjeff045

If you want to work in other country. You have work experience in your field then you are eligible to work at other country.

-------------------------
https://au.igrads.com
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.