Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Electrical engineer/ electrical engineer technician / electrician
Topic Summary:
Created On: 15 August 2011 04:29 PM
Status: Read Only
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 15 August 2011 10:56 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Posts: 3527
Joined: 31 March 2005

I think you will need to ask your new employer what courses they plan on sending you on. Everything is a progression, so they wouldnt want to put the cart before the horse. I would imagine they would send you on a ONC before HNC. This could then be topped up to HND and then finally a degree years down the line.
JIB wise, its electrician (you will need nvq for this), then technician after 5 years of good track record.
You could probably register for EngTech afterwards, or IEng after HNC and a few years of experience in a suitable role.
Unfortunatly, Engineer is not a protected tiitle. Councils would have you believe there are refuse 'engineers' (bin men)!
Generally, in a professional role or as part of an engineering practise, people would expect you to have at LEAST a degree if you started calling yourself an Electrical engineer rather than an electrician. Remember not everything can be learnt from a book.

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 01 September 2011 10:53 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Posts: 14
Joined: 11 October 2007

Apprenticeships are generally entitled for Technician. The title Technician is considered as senior than the title Electrician. To get registration for Engineering Technician officially, you need to do the British National Diploma/Higher National Diploma at least or equivalent. If you have sufficient required experience and have reached at at level in industry or field equivalent to the requirments of Engineering Technician title at ECUK, then you may considered but you have to go through from the professional interview. I believe that after getting the title of Engineering Technician, you would be able to earn more.

The Fresh Electrical Engineer having Bachelor degree in Electrical Engineering or Technology are considered for Incorporated Engineer and definitely you have to do a lot to get that title, means, you can't say yourself as Electrical Engineer without your formal Bachelor degree or equivalent job status with enough experience.

Good Luck.

Nouman Abid Chuhan
HND Engg (UK) B.Tech Hons (Pak) MIET (UK)

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2016 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.