Increase font size
Topic Title: Career in Electrical Engineering
Topic Summary:
Created On: 26 April 2011 03:32 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 26 April 2011 03:32 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

J352637

Hi,

I was looking for some guidance as i feel i am stagnating and not moving forward in my career.

I am currently employed as a multi-skilled maintenance engineer for a pharmaceutical company. I have been performing this job for the past 3 years.

I completed an advanced modern apprenticeship in 2005 and hold NVQ L2/L3 in Engineering Maintenance, HNC in electrical and electronic engineering and also hold IEE Wiring regulations 17th edition.

My apprenticeship was very electrically biased and now looking back i realise the electrical path is the one i wish to pursue.

The company i work for has led me to believe I have an opportunity to take over as site electrical head upon the retirement of the current most senior electrical person we have.

Unfortunaterly the company i work for is not aware of the requirements for such a person to hold this role and i believe we probably need a lot of work to meet industry standards/guidelines for this position. I am very keen an eager to pursue this opportunity but i am a little uncertain of the requirements also.

I apologise if this message was long winded but really just wanted to give you a bit of my background and would greatly appreciate any advice to assist me in pursuing my electrical career

Many thanks

James
 10 June 2011 06:19 PM

peteTLM

What qualifications does the person in post at the moment have? Id suggest 2391-10 to broaden your 17th skills, and maybe 2391-20 to give you some design background. Emergency lighting might be required. As 'head' you should be able to do everything the staff under you can do, and to be able to stand your ground with knowledge and reasoning when push comes to shove.
A formal health and safety qualification would be an advantage to lead by example.
Let us all know how you get on.
P

-------------------------
----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 13 July 2011 01:02 PM

martra

I had the problem with my job and ended up applying for a lot of trainee engineer jobs to progress, but there is great number of people applying and not enough spaces. I ended up biting the bullet and going full-time uni after my HNC and I haven't really regretted it. But pete offers great advice if you wanted to stay on the tools.
 22 July 2011 06:24 PM

RobertBrown82

Originally posted by: martra

I had the problem with my job and ended up applying for a lot of trainee engineer jobs to progress, but there is great number of people applying and not enough spaces. I ended up biting the bullet and going full-time uni after my HNC and I haven't really regretted it. But pete offers great advice if you wanted to stay on the tools.

DNOs always looking for Engineers..... ;o)

-------------------------
-----------------
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.