Topic Title: Young Professionals Summit 2011
Topic Summary: Young Professionals Summit 2011
Created On: 11 October 2010 02:55 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11 October 2010 02:55 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

kwongcf

Greetings!!

May I present to all the Young Professionals Summit 2011 Task Force team members: -

Kwong Chiew Foong (Task Force Leader)
David Leong (YPCT)
Janice Man
Ratheesh Logeswaran
Sheddrick Rodrigo
Brian P Mann
Mohammad Salay Naderi
Andrei Bettinson

The YP Summit 2011 will be held in mid April 2011. The exact date are sitll in discussion, however, announcement will be made once everything is finalised.

We are hoping to see more varieties of activities and talks here in YP Summit 2011 rather than just the traditionals.

We will appreciate if our esteemed members would give us some useful and fruitful suggestions on what do you want to achieve from this summit.

Looking forward to see your suggestions.

Kwong CF
YP Summit 2011 Task Force Lead

-------------------------
CF Kwong
IET Council Member (2011 / 2014)
 03 November 2010 04:52 AM

ktgwai

David,

Although I am not located in UK, please contact me if anything I can help out remotely or even at that day!

Gordon WAI.
 05 November 2010 11:55 AM

davleong

Hi Gordon

Thanks for the offer. I'm sure the task force will appreciate it.

David

David Leong
Immediate Past Chairman
Young Professionals Coordination Team
 05 November 2010 03:17 PM

kwongcf

Hi Gordan,

Perhaps you may want to contribute something what are the suitable topics to be discussed during the summit?

Thanks

Kwong CF

CF Kwong
 05 November 2010 05:16 PM

hisham123

Hi all

All LNs have their own problems, maybe we should start by looking at what the main problems YPs are facing in their network and have sessions on each of them. Some thoughts:
1. Which is best - having a separate YPS or combined one with the main committee? There was a survey done recently, but i am not sure if the results were shared. What work best and what does IET recommend? Some LNs can share their experience
2. Recruitment at Universities, what works best outside of GB&Ireland?
3. How to attract non-members at events, or even members sometimes?

Hisham
 06 November 2010 04:26 AM

kwongcf

Thanks Hashim,

It seemed the points that you have listed out is a never-ending discussion and has been an issue for such a long time. Here's my response: -

Question1:

I am one of the YPS Committee Review Task Force member which initiated the survey. Rest be asured that the result of the survey is currently being analysed and a paper to be submitted to the Board of Trustee soon.

Question 2 & 3:

These are one of our issues in my mind to be discussed on that day, however, we cannot go into too detail. There is some time constrain here because we only have one day for the summit, thus we shall discuss at the policy level. However I believe each LN will have their best way for recruitment.

Keep the thought flowing in Hisham!

CF Kwong
 26 November 2010 04:13 PM

ktgwai

Kwong,

Sorry for the late reply. Upon the recent Council Meeting, I consider it is valuable to illustrate the importance of having YPs within the Institution in terms of the role of YPs and their links among the BoT, Boards and even LNs. Also, recruiting and retaining members are one of our key objectives, we may ask the new Business Manager, Paul, dealing with YPs issues to share about the values or benefits to join IET in which the audiences can spread this message to the respective students and young professionals. On top of it, we may ask the attendances to brainstorm or suggest some ideas and thoughts which YPCT can propose to BoT. Personally, I would suggest this Summit can be more on strategic side rather than an informative event. Hope that it helps!

Gordon WAI.
 27 November 2010 12:05 AM

kwongcf

Hi Gordan,

Many thanks for your feedback on this. Indeed, as I was told, the theme "Community Engagement" is apt for what you had described. There are many things going on in the Community Engagement project, of which few papers will be submitted to the BoT soon. One of the issues we are looking forward in this Summit is to see how YP can contribute in enhancing the Community Engagement, and how we all can benefit from there.

And agree with you, this time, our YP Summit should discuss a bigger picture, as you correctly mentioned strategic point of view, rather than just plain presentation. This is one of the reasons why the Task Force had emphasised more on the discussions amongst the attendees. I'm not sure; however, I was thinking the attendees should do some "homework" by reading literature we sent earlier before attending the Summit?

As of now, we in the Task Force had not received any information what would be the definite theme for the Volunteer's Weekend Conference (VWC), and I am fully confident that we should align our self with the VWC.

CF Kwong
 08 December 2010 02:45 PM

kwongcf

Dear all,

Below are the TENTATIVE programme / idea what is the content of the YP Summit 2011. Again, this is a tentative idea, and it may be completely different at the end. It will evolve as time goes, but I will definitely welcome all constructive comments and suggestions on the Master Agenda below.

Bear in mind that the YP Summit 2011 will have only ONE day, so every seconds counts for the event, nor that we want the schedule is too pack and less productive. Overall, we try to reduce as many presentation as possible, and encourage as many dialogues and discussions as possible.

IET YP Summit 2011 Master Agenda
14th October 2011 (Friday)

Registration (30 minutes)

Introduction:
- YP Summit 2011 Leader briefing on the day programme. (5 minutes)
- Ice Breaking Session (30 minutes)

Session A:
- Updates on YP
* What are we doing now?
* What is our direction?
* Dialogue and Q&A.

Session B:
Presentation by the Community Engagement Advisory Group (30 minutes inclusive of dialogue and Q&A)
* Modus Operandi
* Dialogue on how YP can contribute in the Community Engagement Group

Lunch Break

Session C: Parallel Sessions (Breakout)

New YPS Committee training
* E.g. CTAPS etc.
* Handling a YPS, dos and donts etc.
* How to form Student Chapters and get them active?

YPF discussions
* What would the YPF members role?
* How to improve the engagement in the YPF?

Dinner

CF Kwong
 08 December 2010 07:10 PM

hudsonegbert

Looks good to me. I like the training sessions on "How to form Student Chapters and get them active?" this is what we need in Americas, EMEA, SA and AP regions (non-UK). Please let me know if you need any help from me or any YPs from Americas.

Cheers,
Hudson
 09 December 2010 03:31 AM

kwongcf

Hi Hudson,

Many thanks for the feedback. Indeed, although it is a training, I would propose it should be like a dialogue and discussion, experience sharing of sort. Different parts of the world may have different approach. However, we shall take the lead, and of course any help will be welcomed. Keep the comments flowing in...

Kwong CF

CF Kwong
 10 December 2010 11:44 PM

simongallagher

Hi,

I would like to see the Present Around the World competition put on the agenda in some form.

Last year we used to YP Summit to launch the new format, and had some very useful discussions on it. I would like to see something similar this year, as the PATW is being used more and more as a flagship recruiting tool around the world.

Building enthusiasm through among the YFP should help to promote the competition.

Regards,

Simon Gallagher
(Chair YP Awards committee)
 11 December 2010 10:54 AM

kwongcf

Hi Simon,

Many thanks for your inputs.

Perhaps it will be much productive for us if you can let us know what exactly what has been discussed on PATW previously? And what would you want to be discussed in the 2011 YP Summit? If we know the intended content, it will be much easier for us to allocate appropriate slot for this.

p/s: We have included the Micheal Faraday's Award inside the Dinner.

Kwong CF

CF Kwong
 12 December 2010 04:04 AM

hisham123

Hi all

PATW should definitely be on the agenda. Last year's presentation and eventual dinner table arrangement was used to kick-off the PATW for the EMEA. Basically we just sat down with other people from EMEA and we decided that we would be doing it in our respective countries and who would be willing to host the regional final. I am sure there are people from other countries who would like to learn how to organise PATW and how to get most out of it.

Like Simon said, it can be a great recruiting tool, so may be have a presentation and continue discussion in the Session C: "How to form Student Chapters and get them active?"

Hisham
 24 December 2010 06:27 AM

kwongcf

By the way, is there any plans or suggestions to have PATW Finals in the YP Summit 2011? Anyone can enlighten me on this?

Kwong CF

CF Kwong
 04 January 2011 04:26 PM

simongallagher

No, the PATW final was recently held, and there are no plans to hold it at the YP Summit.

Simon
 04 January 2011 05:29 PM

hisham123

The current plan is to hold the 2011 finals in Nov 2011.
I think that holding it during the YP Summit will increase the awareness of YPs about the event and eventually might increase organisation of PATW at LN level.

The YP Summit is only one month before the current planned date for the final, not a lot and there is still time to change.
Have the dates for the regional finals been set btw?

Hisham
 10 May 2011 05:31 PM

kwongcf

Dear all,

Below are the second draft (hopefully the final one) for the YP Summit 2011 Agenda, after taking into consideration from many parties. Feel free to comment, before the Task Force finalised everything and swing into actions.

The aimed this time is to have as many as possible Dialogue and Discussions while reduce presentation as much as possible.

IET YOUNG PROFESSIONAL SUMMIT MASTER AGENDA
14th October 2011 (Friday)

INTRODUCTION
YP Summit 2011 Leader briefing on the day programme.
YPCT Chair Welcome Speech

ICE BREAKING
Games

KEYNOTE SESSION A: Young Professionals in 2011/2012
Short Presentation by the YPCT Chair
. What are we doing now?
. What is our direction? Future plans.

Short Presentation by the IET President or Chief Executive
. What are the expectation of IET for the YPs

Dialogue session between IET President, YPCT and Delegates
. Aimed to close the loop.
. IET President and YPCT

KEYNOTE SESSION B: Community Engagement Programme
Presentation by Katy Turff - YP Centric
. What is the Community Engagement Project?
. New Community Model
    o Structure
    o What it is?
    o How it works?
    o How it benefits the YPs and how YPs can take advantage out of it?

. Dialogue / Q&A session with the delegates.

KEYNOTE SESSION C: (Refer to the selection below - TBC)

Selection 1: Regional YP Board / LN YP Development
Selection 2: 5 years Strategic Plans for YPs

LUNCH BREAK

SESSION D: Plenary Sessions

Session D1: New YPS Committee Training

D1-1: Administrative for Young Professional Section (e.g. CTAPS, DARWIN, Matrix forms, etc.)

D1-2: Handling a Young Professional Section, dos and donts etc. Sharing of Best Practices and Discussions

D1-3: How to form Student Chapters and get them active? Sharing of Best Practices and Discussions

TEA BREAK

Session D2: Young Professional Forum Delegates Session

D2-1: What would the YPF members role and how to improve the engagement in the YPF? (Only for YPF Members)

D2-2: Present Around The World (PATW)

CLOSING

. Wrap up / close the loop
. YP Summit 2011 Declaration etc.
. Verbal feedback
. Filling up feedback forms

Group Photograph

DINNER

Cheers !

CF Kwong
 11 May 2011 07:21 AM

hisham123

Hi Kwong

Looks good. One thing I would like to see added is the results of the survey(s) that was done and the one that is being planned. Maybe as part as the YPCT Chair in Keynote Session A.

Hisham
 01 June 2011 08:45 PM

simongallagher

As I mentioned above, I would like to see some time in there for PATW and YP awards, as there was last year.

Regards,

Simon
IET » Young Professionals Community » Young Professionals Summit 2011

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.