Increase font size
Topic Title: what grade am I?
Topic Summary: Personal Development
Created On: 02 June 2009 11:47 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02 June 2009 11:47 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

carmdg

What grade is a student who has just finished his degree? I'm currently looking for jobs and don't know what grade I can apply for?
 02 June 2009 07:17 PM

mbirdi

I'm not surprised that you're confused on what grade to apply for?

This page refers to 'Qualifications and experience required for MIET'. Suggesting you need academic qualifications as well as experience for MIET.

Then again this page suggests that academic qualifications alone are sufficient for MIET.

A case of two confusing messages.
 19 July 2009 12:44 PM

z315870

You would be looking to enter the industry as a graduate engineer or graduate trainee. Most large companies have training schemes lasting between 1 and 2 years, but these vary widely in quality so do your research before taking an offer.

As a green graduate from university you have to acknowledge that you don't usually have the experience to get straight into a post without further training - unless you're going into research and development based on your academic interest.

Salaries are around £21-22k but you may do better if you look hard - however competition is going to be intense this year because of the recession.

Make sure you pick a company that will support you in developing towards Chartered Engineer status - this will give you a reasonable indicator of how serious they are about training you properly. Don't let them stick you straight on a project unless you can clearly see that you are learning and developing. If you get stuck in a rut at the outset you may find it hard to achieve the competencies required for Chartered Engineer, especially the A competencies which require you to be at the cutting edge of new technology where possible.

Good luck!

-------------------------
Dr Joe Silmon PhD MEng CEng MIET
Committee Member, Railway TPN
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.