IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Please Help, unsure which career path to follow?
Topic Summary: Two offers.... Which do I choose? Westinghouse Railways or British Energy?
Created On: 09 April 2009 06:11 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09 April 2009 06:11 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

big1gavman

Well here it is... I'm almost finished uni and I have two Job offers, Westinghouse Railway Systems or British Energy. But I'm stuck and I dont know which to accept? I dont want to make the wrong decision.

It looks like Westinghouse (Link removed) have a very secure future and are offering good money for graduates like me. They offer chances to travel and work abroad which is cool, and big variety in work, mostly low voltage systems and electronics.

British Energy as we all know currently own and operate most of the nuclear power plants in the UK and have just merged with EDF to "potentialy" build a whole new fleet of nuclear power stations in the comming years? UK based, and offer less money but i'm wondering if there is potentially better prospects from British Energy once they start building and eventually operating these new powerstations? But i dont want to be sitting behind a desk untill then doing boring paperwork?

E-On, I dont have an offer from yet but I am at the last stage in the interview process, but I dont know if I should even bother going now that I have two good offers? E-on do look healthier that British Energy at this moment in time, renewables, coal, Gas, CHP etc and are wanting to also build a nuclear plant also. So great diversity there? Do I go to the interview?

All require me to move down south so no difference there. I'm very confused??

Any professional opionions to send me one way or the other?
So what should I choose? Trains, Nuclear or E-On....?
 14 April 2009 01:52 PM

sfchew

Making a decision on a new job is always difficult if you need to choose. Remember you are fortunate to be given some choices.

Try to see yourself in 5 years' time if you take up any of the offers. What do you think you will be then? Is that what you want to be?

You may have to decide on the subject matter in work whether it fits your interests.

The money issue should be the last to be considered.

Good Luck.

Regards
Chris Chew
 26 May 2009 02:14 PM

tpg500

Congratulations on the job offers!

I graduated last year and have since been working in the rail industry and it seems like a good industry to work in, and it's quite a stable industry. I would have to highlight the fact that what you learn in railways is generally only applicable to railways. The technology is all quite old fashioned due to the time it takes to prove things to be viable and get accepted for use by Network Rail, and the fact that a large proportion of the infrastructure hasn't been updated in 25 years. So you find that people can't move out of railways as easily as perhaps they could move between other industries - so its almost a career path for life. As you've said though the salaries are normally pretty high compared to other sectors.

I'm afraid I don't know anything about the energy industry so it's a single-sided view I can give you! I really enjoy working with the railways even though I've never been into trains!

What sort of things would you be doing in either role?

Tim

Edited: 26 May 2009 at 02:16 PM by tpg500
 02 June 2009 02:35 PM

mstaple

Personally I would pick British Energy or EON. Never worked in rail or energy but rail just doesn't appeal to me. You may also want to consider that Westinghouse may lose the rail contracts in the future. Energy companies are unlikely to lose contracts or sell off assetts. Even if they did you would just work for the company that bought them. It's also an exciting time to join energy with almost half the generating capacity requiring replacement over the next 10-20years. Good luck mate. p.s. why don't you tell British Energy of the Westinghouse offer and see if they can match it. You may be lucky.

Edited: 02 June 2009 at 04:04 PM by mstaple
 20 April 2010 07:39 AM

orangewine5

Hi mstaple,

Hmmmh that's good if like that,thanks for that!!
 22 December 2010 09:35 AM

cdpwest

I have a slightly more difficult problem, I am currently working for a small business who sounded brilliant when I started plus I was unable to find a better job and really needed to start earning to support myself. I have now been offered a brilliant job (graduate scheme) and its my ideal role fits perfectly with my interests and my degree. I don't know how or when to break it to where I am currently working. One of the biggest problems was when i got this position they said I was over qualified and asked me if I would be loyal to the business, which at the time I agreed too, now I feel like I am going to let them down. I don't know what to do now. Please help....
 22 December 2010 11:20 AM

tickner

I would take the new job - unless i really loved the current job I was doing.

If you would pose you such a question they are probably not above trying to use emotional blackmail. I suspect if it was the case that they had to trim down the workforce, that they would most likely have no issues with letting you go even if you have been loyal.

you have to do what is right for you.

-------------------------
Mark Tickner CEng MIET
 21 January 2011 04:49 PM

deleted_1_liwilkinson

cdpwest, perhaps this is alittle late, but i've been in your position and just remember it's your life and if you've done your work for the comapany and had your pay you have already fulfilled all your obligations to your current employer.

I was bricking it when i told my previous employer i was leaving, after they had invested a lot in me, but he was great about it and pointed out that that was just par for the course; when you employ people, you dont get their mortal soul, they are still free agents.

if your new in your career, the most important thing is getting experience that will enable you to take positions you really want in the future. Im happy in my work now and i wouldn't be here if i hadn't made damn sure i got the necessary experience for it.

good luck
 03 May 2011 12:49 AM

victor15

I hear that the the british railway network is going to be overhauled in the near future. Major work is due to be carried out in Bristol, Birmingham and London. Atleast this is what ive hear from a contact at network rail.

So could be alot of work in the rail industry for you.
 16 June 2012 06:39 AM

matt11

Good information.
Thanks
 30 July 2012 09:06 AM

howarddoris

Any of the two jobs will do. But if you think the other one is so much better then go for it. Perhaps, it's time for you to choose a new job to learn new things.
 19 February 2014 05:39 AM

hjeff045

I think wrestling house profession is better

-------------------------
https://au.igrads.com
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.