Topic Title: More Threats to the Cinemas
Topic Summary: Looking at the effect of home cinemas
Created On: 22 August 2012 04:26 PM
Related E&T article: Digital cinema distribution finally killing off cinereel
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 22 August 2012 04:26 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

youmike

I live in small town South Africa. Our nearest cinema is 25km distant, and it frequently does not show "non-mainstream" films. Whatever they show comes up to a year after release in UK/USA. For many years now, I've had a high definition projector permanently installed in my lounge and watching a Blu-Ray version of a movie has many advantages over a visit to the cinema, apart from the cost of travel. There's no popcorn odour and noise, no cell-phones and so on, and refreshment with a favourite tipple is a given. Recently, I watched "Gone With The Wind" which has been reworked to Blu-Ray quality. What a pleasure! Likewise David Attenborough's "Frozen Planet", which held my grandchildren spellbound.

Regarding the delay, if I'm prepared to do the illegal, I can get a movie before it's released on circuit and I have to say that I wonder when Hollywood will wake up and exploit a legal, affordable means of delivering their product to people like me. I fear we have a long wait!
 15 September 2012 03:16 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

ksangani

Hi youmike,

I estimate, based on what industry figures have told me, that you may have to wait two or three years at the very most. Most mainstream movies will be distributed globally by then. That's certainly the case with Hollywood's most important markets. I don't know how important the cinema industry in South Africa is to Hollywood. But with the trend to release films simultaneously to every market, it is certainly within the interest of moviemakers to combat bit torrenting.

Most likely films will be copied onto hard drive and delivered to the cinema until the telecommunications backhaul in South Africa will be able to cope with the huge bit rates that distributing 2K and 4K movies to multiple movie theatres in the region.

-------------------------

https://plus.google.com/103478220357764212642
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.