Increase font size
Topic Title: Bose Acoustic Wave outputs
Topic Summary: Selector Switch for external speaker system
Created On: 06 August 2011 05:25 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06 August 2011 05:25 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Legh

I'm aware that the Bose Acoustic Wave system does not have the facility to add extra sets of external speakers to the output since the information given to me by a representative of Bose said that this particular unit was powerful enough without this requirement and there was no 'positive outcome available'

Using the headphone socket disengages the internal speakers but offers no control over either the quality (degraded) or the volume.

Has anybody had similar difficulties and are there any positive outcomes available where I might be able to wire up a selector switch with volume control without wrecking the casing ?
Its price is around the £1k mark.

Legh

-------------------------
Why do we need Vernier Calipers when we have container ships?

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

"Science has overcome time and space. Well, Harvey has overcome not only time and space - but any objections."
 07 August 2011 09:50 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

adrianhill

Why do you have to go for Bose? Build up your own acoustic profile using hi fi separates. You then have much more control of your sound. Bose sound characteristics have always been peculiarly American with no mid range and boosted bass - only really suitable for pop rock and no neighbours. Classical and jazz are not really suited to this sort of eq.
 07 August 2011 11:51 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Legh

Adrian,
Thanks for the reply.

I didn't go for it. My client seems convinced that this system is...was the best.

So I'm trying to keep the change of aesthetics to a minimum. Once I've 'cracked' open the case making adjustments to the outputs will be relatively simple.

Legh

Why do we need Vernier Calipers when we have container ships?

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

"Science has overcome time and space. Well, Harvey has overcome not only time and space - but any objections."
 08 August 2011 08:27 AM

oneye

Clearly Bose's design was not to have external speakers otherwise they would have made provision.

I suspect this may to do with the myth of accoustic wave being nothing more than tonal adjustment to suit the manufacturer, which would become obvious though external speakers.

B&O (Bang & Olufsen) operate in similar style - and aren't they the best ....
 08 August 2011 09:13 AM

normcall

I gotta bose.
SWMBO didn't want wires all over the place as the TV sound was awful. Unit sits on top of TV and a great improvement.

Not as loud as it could be, not forgiving in changes to studio sound (transmitted) but all in one just the job. Only used for the TV as not good enough for anything else in my view.

Norman
 08 August 2011 05:32 PM

adrianhill

When I was a hi fi installation engineer, I always found that B&O were overpriced and sacrificed sound for good looks. I once installed a couple of speakers that were made to look like pictures. Very poor sound and very expensive. Mind you, the sort of market we were in (very rich people) meant that our clients were not so interestred in the quality of the audio more the price of the systems to show off to friends.
Personally, I couldn't care less about what they look like - I'm getting some superb sounds out of vinyl, far superior to CD, MP3 and the rest!
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.