Increase font size
Topic Title: V-Phase units...
Topic Summary:
Created On: 18 April 2011 06:50 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 18 April 2011 06:50 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

thealchemist

I am an electrician, and have just stumbled onto the V phase website: Link removed/how-it...-technology-explained

I like the look of these, and if they stand up to their claims I will promote them to my domestic and commercial clients who often complain about their electricity bills.

However, after making some enquiries I am hearing conflicting opinions on whether or not these will in fact save money.

The website claims they save up to 17% on fridges, freezers and other motorized equipment and 3-5% on PC's.

Some people have said that they are an outright rip-off -that motors will just run longer and slower in fridge/freezers-whilst others have said fridge freezers will just run less efficiently i.e cooler, and some have said that the theory is sound they're waiting to see how well they perform in the field and for consumer confidence to increase.

I'm posting to see what the people here think of the concept, whether or not you think it will work and whether anyone has any experience they would like to share with them?

All replies/opinions welcomed...
 19 April 2011 10:03 AM

pinkpercy

I to look farward to seeing what thoughts are
 19 April 2011 04:14 PM

thealchemist

me to, anyone?
 19 April 2011 09:21 PM

Avatar for dougflorence                                      .
dougflorence

Looks pretty dodgy to me. Roughly speaking energy consumption is volts x amps, if you reduce volts, amps will go up to deliver the power required, or in the case of something like a heater you will just get less power. You could achieve a similar effect better by turning down the thermostat on any heating. Things like PCs and TVs with switched mode power supplies will just try harder to get the power they need.

I don't see from the website the principle used to reduce the voltage, but I also wonder how well the electrical safety aspects of the equipment has been tested and also about EMC emission problems.

I imagine the device has a small but significant power consumption itself.
 20 April 2011 10:54 PM

alancapon

I suspect the units use a "transductor", which were used in high current 48v chargers for the telecoms industry before the advent of the switched-mode power suppply. They were a standard power transformer of the appropriate voltage ratio, with an extra tertiary winding. A dc current was applied to the tertiary winding, which magnetised the transformer core. The current in this winding and therefore the saturation in the core affected the coupling between the primary and secondary windings, hence the output voltage. At 100% saturation, the output from the secondary was close to zero.

Regards,

Alan.
 06 September 2011 02:30 PM

Softy

Hi Guys

I have actually been on the course they offer

definately pros and cons to the unit, but most appliances if you look on the labels can run between voltages of around 220-240v what they are saying is having a flat line voltage will save the electricity this would most probably be more beniftial to people with hi voltage readings on the incomer so they will save more than the people whos incomer voltage is not as strong and to intall th v phase customer is looking around £400 so down side is payback time is not great.

Regards

Softy
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.