IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Funny Smell?
Topic Summary: Low energy mercury Lamps
Created On: 03 December 2009 09:17 PM
Status: Read Only
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03 December 2009 09:17 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message



ESGorst

Posts: 1
Joined: 03 December 2009

I have just replaced a faulty 25 watt low energy lamps (it died a sudden death taking out the circuit breaker whilst I was having a bath).

Within a few minute of powering the replacement lamp an interesting smell began filling the room.
The smell was reminiscent of disinfectant / antiseptic as you might find in a medical room.

I am very concerned on this as I have already suffered from Heavy Metal poisoning.

I have since changed that lamp only to get the same result from another of the same batch.

Anyone out there have any knowledge concerning the possibility of mercury leakage from these lamps or indeed, any other explanation for the strange smell emanating from them?
 04 December 2009 09:13 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message



ectophile

Posts: 528
Joined: 17 September 2001

It's unlikely to be mercury leaking out. If there was a hole in the fluorescent tube, then it wouldn't work.

It's more likely to be some component on the electronic ballast getting hot, and the coating on that component giving off the smell.

-------------------------
S P Barker BSc PhD MIET
Statistics

See Also:



FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.