Increase font size
Topic Title: Hobbies
Topic Summary: Inventors website
Created On: 01 February 2012 01:33 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01 February 2012 01:33 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

davecooper

I won't call myself an inventor but I have always enjoyed thinking up new ideas, usually building something to prove it works. I have decided to start putting some of my projects on a website rather than leave them to gather dust in a corner. If anyone is interested, the site can be found here. I hope you enjoy looking at my ideas, I am slowly adding more when time permits.
 02 February 2012 04:52 PM

jhudson

I'll be letting my husband know about your website - He'll have a lot of fun browsing through your designs

-------------------------
Julie Hudson
Community Online Development Executive
The Institution of Engineering and Technology
 03 February 2012 12:18 PM

davecooper

Thanks, hope he likes some of the stuff on there. It's always nice to get interest from like minded people.
 18 March 2012 11:32 PM

Legh

Great little web site.
Amazing, I did think the old connoisseur still existed. I used the BD1 turntable as part of my metalwork project back in 1972, but designed and built the arm from dural Al. with 3 bends creating an aggregate bend of 17 deg. ( I think); Gimble knife edge bearings for the vertical movement with a ball race dropped into a brass 'envelope' supported on an Al. spindle . All counter-weighted, adjustable and two different methods of biasing the centripetal forces
The hardest part was positioning the arm so that the pick up stayed more or less at a tangent when it crossed the tracks - all a bit of a hit and miss, so to speak, I gave up on the pick-up head since I struggled to get a suitable fixing of a flat steel plate onto a 1/4" dural pipe and bought a professional one.
It worked surprising well, as good as the Thorens deck I had later.

Thanks for bringing all that back to mind....

Legh

-------------------------
Why do we need Vernier Calipers when we have container ships?

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

"Science has overcome time and space. Well, Harvey has overcome not only time and space - but any objections."
 22 March 2012 02:09 PM

davecooper

Glad it brought back some memories Leigh. I built that around 1978 and used it until I got married and left home, when I left it with my Dad. I was reunited with it a few years ago after my father died. I did toy with the idea of rebuilding it into a new plinth etc but decided to try another route. I bought a Thorens TD150 which had seen better days and set about rebuilding it into a new plinth. However, I tried to make the plinth too complex and eventually (temporarily!) shelved the idea as my wife was starting to question my enthusiasm for a recording medium approaching 100 years old. As a result, current Vinyl playing duties are being handled by my trusty 80's vintage Dual turntable.
 31 March 2012 06:41 PM

jcm256

If you like inventing things, this one might interest you.'

http://www.soe.org.uk/news/soe...c5-tv-show-wants-you/

Regards.
 02 April 2012 12:39 PM

davecooper

Thanks for the link. I will have a look.

Regards.
 06 July 2012 07:27 PM

stableford

Some very nice designs, with elegant solutions.

The Venturi wall in a slightly different format, by the way, has already been put out there as an underwater turbine system. Although I dont think there are takers yet.

The real problem would be the sheer cost of the large qty of eductors. That being said, nice design.

Regards

Derrick
 09 July 2012 09:56 AM

ickleant

Wow very nice I have been limited to working with wood to build things in my spare time. Have you ended up producing lots of things for friends and family? I know I have :S
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.