Increase font size
Topic Title: Career Change, What Next
Topic Summary: Career change
Created On: 11 September 2011 11:45 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11 September 2011 11:45 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

slesnoj

I am an experienced engineer from Lithuania who recently relocated to the UK for family reasons.

I am an expert in the instrumentation and controls area and have worked on a number of international projects in my previous role.

I have been looking for a new role in the UK for the past couple of months and have not got a single interview. I am wondering what is holding me back. Would it be the lack of the UK qualifications or work experience?

I have applied for the registration as a chartered engineer and my application form is currently being considered. However, I have been informed that it might take up to 4 months.

Even if I receive the chartered engineer status I am not sure that will solve my problems entirely as I still will not have the UK work experience.

My question is where to get it? I would even be happy to start as a volunteer just to get some.

I have worked for the nuclear power plant for the past 25 years, however, I cannot work for the nuclear power plant in the UK for security reasons. Hence, I am trying to move to other industries like oil and gas or slightly different roles like project management. However, all recruiters are asking for direct work experience in the particular industry or area of expertise and this is where I am stuck. I am a pretty smart and hard working individual though and would be happy to complete any necessary on the job training.

Does anyone have any good advice out there?
 14 September 2011 12:44 PM

simonhowes2

Pretty much same as me, but a graduate and British. http://www.theiet.org/forums/f...=313&threadid=%2042766
 14 September 2011 02:58 PM

westonpa

Originally posted by: slesnoj
Would it be the lack of the UK qualifications or work experience?

This would be a significant reason but also you would need these things in the correct area. If you have nuclear experience but cannot work in the UK nuclear industry for security reasons it does not take much working out that you have cut off the area in which you have your greatest experience.

You need to check the equivalence of your qualifications to our UK ones and then add this onto your CV and then contact some staff (employment) agencies and go see them. They normally have a good feel on the jobs market and will at least advise you where your strengths and weaknesses are. Keep trying and something will come up eventually.

Regards.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.