Increase font size
Topic Title: Career Development, What Next
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07 September 2011 12:35 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07 September 2011 12:35 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

nickbrown500

Ive recently finished my BEng (Hons) with a 2:1 and I'm now looking at my next career development/progression routes.

I have studied part time through doing:
ONC - 2 Years,
HNC - 2 Years,
HND - 1 Year (Top up modules to HNC),
BEng (Hons) - 2 Years.

For the whole time the company I work for has paid for me to complete all this training. I work within a Power Semiconductor Business, and so have now got 7 years work experience.

Im wanting to carry on learning and am currently trying to work out the best route next.

What do people think are the best ideas to continue and develop.

My job roule includes:
PCB Design, Testing of finished products (Power assemblies), design work (test equipment, power assemblies i.e pulsed power stacks etc), software programming (Labview), Lab work (research etc)
 08 September 2011 01:53 PM

amillar

Why do you want to carry on learning?

Because you don't like your current job?
In which case it's really down to you to decide what you would rather be doing, and, indeed, what it is about your job that you don't like.

Because you want to earn more money?
In this case you need to see how people around you get promoted, or look at the job sites to see what are the requirements for more highly paid jobs elsewhere. It may be that it's actually more or different experience you need rather than more learning. But you might also find that if, for example, you wanted to move into management that requesting management training highlights nicely that you're someone to watch.

Because you like your job at the moment but think yuou might be bored soon?
In this case talk to more senior people around you and find out what they know that you don't. You're probably in this case looking at industry specific training which they can best advise on.

Because you just like learning new stuff?
That's the best position to be in because you can study whatever you like! And useful further learning can be at any level, it doesn't have to go Degree -> Masters ->PhD. Since my degree I've done all sorts of stuff including C&G Amateur Radio and A level Psychology, all of which were not only interesting but have also helped me out at work.

With a bit more of a clue as to what you're looking for we might be able to help more.

Cheers,

-------------------------
Andy Millar CEng MIET CMgr MCMI

http://www.linkedin.com/in/millarandy

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress." Joseph Joubert
 13 January 2012 09:47 AM

echappers

Hi,
I am currently doing my HND top up and I was just wondering at which uni did you study for your Beng?
I am assuming you did it part time/day release and I am struggling to find a uni that offers this service.

To answer your question, why not find out what qualities you senior engineers think assist them in there job? look at what other companies think you should be capable of doing and take a course in that? I.e. on AutoCAD or Catia etc.
At least then you will have understanding of it for the future even if you dont use it in your current role.
 20 January 2012 10:39 AM

nickbrown500

Hi,

I did my degree at Derby University virtually as it was the nearest university to me,

Sheffield Hallam also run a part time course.

I did the degree part time, Hope you find somewhere close to you where you can complete a BEng(Hons)
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.