IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Recruitment Organisations
Topic Summary: Good or bad, let's have your experiences...
Created On: 22 July 2011 03:04 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 22 July 2011 03:04 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

dvaidr

I've had many run-ins with these people, in particular Michael Page, who insisted in putting me forward for Mechanical roles, when it clearly states in a synopsis in my c..v a Chartered Electrical Engineer with more than 30 years experience.........

ERS were also very very inferior. Sent me all the way to Bedford from Scotland with LM and told me that there was a number of reliability jobs available when there wasn't. They didn't bother telling me if I had been successful or not, (being honest, it wasn't a loss when I wasn't successful and was surprised by the amateurish approach by LM).

As a result I have written the to CEO of ERS, (Executive Recruitment Services, (laughs uncontrollably, out loud), but haven't received any response. Absolutely disgraceful! These people are sharks; the currency being people.
 22 July 2011 05:35 PM

westonpa

I have had 50/50 negative/positive. The negative experiences have mainly been down to the relevant agency not being 'engineers' themselves and thus not understanding either my CV or the job on offer. However in most cases this just resulted in an inconvenience. The problem is as with many of these types of businesses, they are relatively easy to set up by just about anyone and due to the money which can be made many people do set them up. Recruitment agencies are two a penny these days.

On the plus side I have obtained two very good jobs through two very good recruitment agencies and in both cases they were smaller 'technical' agencies. Some agencies are run by good 'recruitment' people whereas many are run by 'salespeople' who are only concerned about their 'major' customers.

Regards.
 22 July 2011 06:15 PM

dvaidr

Chasing the 'sale' is the problem. They look upon the candidate as nothing more than a commodity. At the initial contact, they are courteous, kind and splendidly charming - "Come into my web" sort of thing. It's disgraceful really.

I'm trying to find the name of the head honcho so that I phone him.
 25 July 2011 02:31 PM

andymale37

I have had plenty of run-ins with recruitment consultants, both positive and negative.

On one occasion in the past, I was invited to Manchester to attend a recruitment interview. This bascially consisted of an hours discussion with a non-technical consultant to ascertain how I would come across at interview etc. It was a waste of my afternoon and travelling costs and led to no introductions to any potential recruiters. I am presently being harrassed by another recruitment agency who would also like me to attend a non-technical interview, despite my polite refusals...

I think the best ever though was a chap who carried out an interview over the telephone to see again how well I would come across at interview, very condescending when someone who is not in your peer group and is completely non-technical states "you come across really well and I would have no hesitation in putting you forward for a job" hmph.

I think by the time you have achieved CEng, and interviewed other people for roles, you know what people are looking for in a candidate. I do believe a lot of the time, these consultants are ticking boxes and add no real value to the whole exercise of trying to find a new job. Interestingly enough, when my present role was advertised it categorically stated "No Agencies".

Andy Male BSc(Hons) CEng MIET
 25 July 2011 05:00 PM

ArthurHall

I use an agency called CDS who are very good, but I only want contract jobs rather than full time. I get plenty of phone calls from other agencys hard sell and no technical knowledge. One girl asked me if 400KV was the highest voltage I had worked on!
 25 July 2011 05:15 PM

dvaidr

The one who I really fell out with was Michael Page. I had responded to adverts for years but never got any feedback. The reason they said was that I was mechanically biased. My c.v. has a summary at the beginning which goes something like, "A Chartered Electrical Engineer with over thirty years experience....."

Am I missing something?

Anyway, I complained to the MD and lo and behold, they chose to bar me from using their services. I was, understandably gutted!
 01 August 2011 05:45 PM

amillar

If you are using agencies as an employer you can choose them. If you are using them as a jobseeker you can't.

The problem is that agencies act for employers, and many employers will only recruit through agencies (because they don't have enough HR staff to do it themselves). So if you refuse to deal with particular agencies as a job seeker you are effectively taking yourself out of visibility of the companies they represent. Frustrating but true!

About the only thing that seems to work when dealing with them is to put simple key words at the top of your CV, the entire job search process seems to be based on this now.

And don't believe anything they tell you about any prospective job, all they care about is getting you to interview - only the company you are going to work for will be honest about job role, salary, perks etc.

One thing I have (I hope) now learnt by bitter experience is not to get talked into going to interviews which do not seem right for you. A few years ago I spent a fortune in rail fares going to two interviews which seemed unlikely - and both of which became very embarrassing when it became clear I was not at all what they were looking for. Ok, the companies involved should have been able to tell from my CV that I was not what they wanted, but presumably the recruiters involved had told some very tall tales on my behalf.

-------------------------
Andy Millar CEng MIET CMgr MCMI

http://www.linkedin.com/in/millarandy

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress." Joseph Joubert
 01 August 2011 05:55 PM

dvaidr

No doubt about it, they are sharks! No principles, no decency, nothing. Two that will always be in my file 13 are Michael Page and ERS or Executive Recruitment Services. I have written twice to ERS and I haven't received so much as a sniff at a response. Michael Page did respond by banning me for life from ever using their services, (for questioning its suitability). These are terrible people. And have you ever noticed that they have a degree in something completely disjointed from HR - Joe Smarm BA MREC. "Joe comes to Dross Inc Recruitment with a third class honours degree in The Beatles. We are pleased to have Joe with us, so much so that we made him, Senior Principal Consulting Recruitment Executive etc etc etc"
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.