Increase font size
Topic Title: Jobs opportunities, Experienced professional, UK Master Degree
Topic Summary:
Created On: 15 February 2011 02:10 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 15 February 2011 02:10 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

AMSA

Hello there people.

It might be a double post, but I don't know where to post this, so I've posted in two forums. Here it goes:

I'm finishing my underdegree in Electrical Engineering (BSc ?), in Portugal. At the same time, I'm working on a Airline company for 5 yrs, in the field of electronics - calibration, test and some repairing equipments. On a large variety of equipment.

Now that I'm finishing my underdegree, I'm starting to think what should be the best option to take and one of them was to work in UK, not only because it would be a challenge but most because there is lot's of more opportunities and so many areas that I could choose.

So I'd like for you guys to help me out with some questions that I have.

I'm got put them in topics:

1. How is the market right now for undergraduated or BSc, qualifications?

2. How can I know if my course is well accepted by the employers, to work in UK?

3. Is my experience relevant on my first work in UK? Or it doesn't count, because it's from another place/country and, for the employers it's irrelevant?

3. There any kind of discrimination, for those who are foreigner, that want to work in UK with qualifications?

4. It would be good to take a English course, like IELTS or a FCE?

5. What kind of difficulties can I expect going to UK? Taking in to account that I've those qualifications and 5 yrs of experience on the field that I've already mentioned.

By the way, I'd like to take a MSc in UK. Those would one of: Electrical Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Control Engineering or Aerospace Engineering. It would be on a part-time mode.

I want to get your opinions please and some advises.

Best regards,
Charles.
 17 February 2011 11:35 AM

amillar

An excellent and well put question. Here's my thoughts (but remember they're only from one employer).

Originally posted by: AMSA
Hello there people.

It might be a double post, but I don't know where to post this, so I've posted in two forums. Here it goes:

I'm finishing my underdegree in Electrical Engineering (BSc ?), in Portugal. At the same time, I'm working on a Airline company for 5 yrs, in the field of electronics - calibration, test and some repairing equipments. On a large variety of equipment.

Now that I'm finishing my underdegree, I'm starting to think what should be the best option to take and one of them was to work in UK, not only because it would be a challenge but most because there is lot's of more opportunities and so many areas that I could choose.

So I'd like for you guys to help me out with some questions that I have.

I'm got put them in topics:

1. How is the market right now for undergraduated or BSc, qualifications?

Very tough. There are lots of graduates around. What employers want is people with experience.

2. How can I know if my course is well accepted by the employers, to work in UK?

Very difficult. Most employers do not have the time to spend checking whether one degree course is equal to another, so if there is any doubt they will simply throw that application away. The important point is that on your CV or application form you use the words "BSc" or "BEng" if you will be entitled to them, and use the word "degree" in your course title (again assuming it is one!). You could check with the IET whether they would accredit your course for IEng or CEng, and if so put that in your CV/application.

3. Is my experience relevant on my first work in UK? Or it doesn't count, because it's from another place/country and, for the employers it's irrelevant?

Experience always counts, and for some employers overseas experience can be even better than UK (e.g. if they are looking at working in that market). Don't worry about this one.

3. There any kind of discrimination, for those who are foreigner, that want to work in UK with qualifications?

Given the choice of two equal graduates, one of whom is totally familiar with UK culture, language etc, and one who is less familiar, employers will choose the first every time. You can call it discrimination, or you can call it the employer selecting the person who is best suited to the job. Remember there is far more to work than just knowing the technical side, you also need to be able to work effectively with colleagues, suppliers, customers etc. You would have to show that your exceptional qualifications and experience make you a better choice than someone who has better "soft" experience.

4. It would be good to take a English course, like IELTS or a FCE?

Much the same as above, if an employer has the choice of two otherwise equal candidates they are going to choose the one who can speak more fluent English. BUT the way they will judge this from your CV/application is mostly by the way it is written, also if your name and education is obviously not UK then it is worth saying "fluent English speaker" (if you are).

5. What kind of difficulties can I expect going to UK? Taking in to account that I've those qualifications and 5 yrs of experience on the field that I've already mentioned.

There are a lot of graduate engineers looking for a very small number of jobs! It is a very tough market. Otherwise everything is fine.

By the way, I'd like to take a MSc in UK. Those would one of: Electrical Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Control Engineering or Aerospace Engineering. It would be on a part-time mode.

If you say to an employer that you want to come and work for them in the UK and do a part time MSc they will almost certainly assume that you are working for them only to get a UK qualifiacation, and that you will leave as soon as you are qualified. I think you may find this quite difficult. Otherwise, if you are able to take a UK MSc and then look for a job you will find it much easier.

I want to get your opinions please and some advises.

Best regards,
Charles.

Hope this helps! And remember again, it is only one person's view.

-------------------------
Andy Millar CEng MIET CMgr MCMI

http://www.linkedin.com/in/millarandy

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress." Joseph Joubert
 13 March 2011 07:33 PM

dvaidr

I agree with Alan. The UK isn't the centre of engineering is was though and the weather is atrocious. The politicians are worse as is our transport infrastructure and if you did decide to come over to the UK, it would probably mean you working until the age of 80 to get a mediocre pension.

I'm not trying to put you off here. But it isn't all tea and scones on the lawn - far from it in fact.

Good Luck!
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.