Increase font size
Topic Title: The Home for Life of Engineers and Technologists
Topic Summary:
Created On: 20 October 2010 05:50 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 20 October 2010 05:50 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

dvaidr

I've just logged on the site tonight and couldn 't help but notice this sentence next to the IET logo on the home page.

Is this new? Who are the Technologists? IEng's? I wonder if another 'deal' has been struck similar to that of the CMI Diploma?
 20 October 2010 06:15 PM

mbirdi

This could be something to do with the BoTs (Item 83) recent approval for the IET to proceed with working with the BCS on awarding the CITP qualification.

As for 'Home for Life'. Some members are having trouble keeping up with their subscription fees in present time. Can you imagine how much they will be 45 years from now, when someone at 25 today becomes 70? Let's see how that pans out?

Dear mister loser,

Your 2055 subscription fees, which is due for re-newal, is £25,000. This is a reduced sum as you are a retired member.

Edited: 20 October 2010 at 06:31 PM by mbirdi
 21 October 2010 08:41 AM

ectophile

Originally posted by: dvaidr

I've just logged on the site tonight and couldn 't help but notice this sentence next to the IET logo on the home page.

Is this new? Who are the Technologists? IEng's? I wonder if another 'deal' has been struck similar to that of the CMI Diploma?

That would be the EngTechs and ICTTechs.

-------------------------
S P Barker BSc PhD MIET
 21 October 2010 08:52 AM

myluckykk

With due respect, aren't they technician?

Kah-King MSc. MIET
 21 October 2010 11:02 AM

rar

The governance of IET can clarify about?
 21 October 2010 11:37 AM

mbirdi

Originally posted by: myluckykk

That is correct. However I believe the IET and EC have made a mistake with EngTech and ICTTech.
The use of the word technician in a job description, certainly in the case of ICT staff, is a thing of the past. They were called Technicians at a time when their roles involved constructing various hardware (i.e building PCs, installing various networking modules to create an infrastructure and making data cables to specification) and of course servicing them.

Today everything is brought of the shelf and the role involves setting up computer and networking machines and configuring them with some documentation work in the form of printed sheets and web pages for users. Any hardware that breaks down is now returned to company for replacement. They are also increasing involved in monitoring data traffic with emphasis to preventing security breaches and producing statistics.

So the role has moved on from Technician level work to being Analysts.

What the IET and EC should do is group the EngTech and ICTTech into one title that fits all and call it EngTech for Engineering Technologists. Nowadays, Techncian is more suited to Laboratory type roles.

Something similar could be created at IEng level where Incorporated Engineers and Incorporated Technologists (does not exist yet) could be grouped into one unified qualification called Chartered Engineering Technologists (CET). There are those who may object to the CET title. Well the IET refer to their Chartered Electrical Engineers as CEE. If it's good enough for them, then why not for CET? or would people prefer CETech or CEngTech?

The end products would be EngTech, CET, CTech (for Biologists and Medical staff involved in work acceptable to the IET as well as ICT staff. All to MSc level) and CEng. This will ensure that qualifications cover every aspects of engineering & technology, and remain credible. The IET could replace or integrate the CITP into the CET qualification.

What do members think?

Edited: 21 October 2010 at 12:04 PM by mbirdi
 21 October 2010 12:47 PM

ectophile

You're quite right. I was getting my technicians and technologists muddled up.

I guess that a technologist could be an MIET, but I'm not aware of any particular "technologist" qualification offered by the IET.

S P Barker BSc PhD MIET
 21 October 2010 03:12 PM

danielscott

Originally posted by: ectophile

You're quite right. I was getting my technicians and technologists muddled up.

I guess that a technologist could be an MIET, but I'm not aware of any particular "technologist" qualification offered by the IET.

It just means, that when the EC possibly decide to change the IEng title to include Technologist in the new title, then the home page would be very much up to date.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.