IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: professional accountability and acknowledgment?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 25 March 2010 05:23 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 25 March 2010 05:23 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Gynour

Advice and thoughts on this. A client of many years has some new engineers. I was asked to help put a business case together on a number of projects. Three were approved and funded and I was commissioned to develop them, liaison with external agents and design/specification, drawings and write the tenders. But then hand over to the new staff to manage the project to completion. The work went well.
On one with a contract value of about £500,000, I received a contact from a PR company who were arranging for an article to be publishing about the project and did I wish to advertise with them. They but did not know of my work on the project other than I had done work in the past for this client. I updated them to my work on this project and enquired as to what acknowledgment all involved with the project will be given. The response was, depend on the advisement you do with us as to the size of the reference to you nor not. I did not wish to advertise with them and reported this matter to the client. The article was published and the only references were to the contactor, the client and the new staff who project managed the on site work. Later I found another separate article published with the same limited references.
On contacting the client, in that I feel as a major player I should have been mentioned. The clients view is that it was publicity for them and nothing to do with me. I was paid for my work. But it was my work and I do have professional accountability and feel my work if published should be also be referenced to me. I no longer do any work for that client. What are the views of my professional colleagues.

J Gynour
 25 March 2010 05:49 PM

westonpa

If you want to take it further you need to get legal advice because it will depend on any 'contract' terms and conditions and the law and the contents of the article.

From the sounds of it though the work belongs to the client because you sold it to them and they paid you for it. If they had not paid you then of course that would be different.

Regards.
 27 March 2010 10:21 AM

Gynour

I have no wish to take any action, it is the principle of respect in the form of acknowledgment if you are going to promote work you have commissioned, you should not name just a select few - leaving out some that have accountability for the work. That is my view but wishing to have the views of others.
J Gynour
 27 March 2010 01:48 PM

westonpa

It would have been good manners for them to acknowledge your work/input but alas good manners seems to have been in short supply with your client.

Regards.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.