Increase font size
Topic Title: Times Top 100 Companies to work for
Topic Summary: Where are all the Engineering Companies
Created On: 09 March 2010 09:16 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09 March 2010 09:16 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

drumbold

Firstly, I'm not sure this is the posted in the correct section, however...

I've just been reading The Times top 100 companies to work for here

Reading through the list is does strike me that there seems to be a lack of Engineering Companies in the top 100.. and those that are there seem to mostly be at the bottom end of the table..

Any thoughts as to why this might be?
 09 March 2010 11:41 AM

amillar

Excellent point!

Most of the companies on this list have as their primary role 'making peoples lives better' directly.

In engineering we tend to be indirect, we rarely meet our end customers, and so rarely see for ourselves the positive benefit of what we do. The only feedback that typically filters through many company systems are the complaints.

Study after study shows that this feeling that your work is benefiting someone is hugely important in achieving job satisfaction. (I don't think I'm uncommon in getting far more satisfaction out of the voluntary work I do outside of my day job, even though a lot of it is just as tough - and unpaid!)

If engineering companies want to make this list I suggest they break down some of the barriers between the end user and the backroom.

-------------------------
Andy Millar CEng MIET CMgr MCMI

http://www.linkedin.com/in/millarandy

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress." Joseph Joubert
 13 March 2010 10:27 AM

JoanW

I used to work for a computer services (as we used to call the business) company which back in the late '80s made it into the 100 best to work for list. We were actually proud to be working for them and delivered a lot more than contracted to do and really believed we were best among the bunch (or at least well up among the best), and our customers were generally willing to pay top notch for our services.

Other than that one, a lot of engineering companies seem to be managed by people who can't tell the difference between their people and their machines, and who are more interested in statutory compliance of HR and H&S rules (whilst maximising whatever accountancy target is currently in fashion) than in geting the best out of their team.

Seems to me, if working for a good-to-work-for company is important to you, then change your career - I did (eventually) and it's been immense fun.
JW

(Edit: typo)

-------------------------
JoanW

Edited: 14 March 2010 at 07:50 PM by JoanW
 15 March 2010 02:19 PM

drumbold

Originally posted by: JoanW
Seems to me, if working for a good-to-work-for company is important to you, then change your career - I did (eventually) and it's been immense fun.

I guess this is what I'm looking at, and you are not the first person to say this to me. But isn't this all rather sad. After all surely it would be better if engineering companies improved then just carry on not having happy and motivated staff.. After all arn't we suppost to have a huge lack of engineers in the UK and as such we are in demand? If so wouldn't you expect companies to be actively trying to hang onto their employees..
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.