IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Moving into renewable energy
Topic Summary: Best way to do this from a software / systems engineering background?
Created On: 04 January 2010 05:09 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04 January 2010 05:09 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

achilles3001

I currently work in defence where I spend about half my time doing software engineering and about half doing systems engineering. I have five years experience and have just gained CEng.

I'd really like to move into the renewable field. Has anyone got any advice on ways to do this that would best leverage my experience? Any advice most welcome!
Cheers

-------------------------------------
Richard Davey CEng MIET
 18 April 2012 12:17 PM

semichipz

Howdy - Where are you located? This is a big topic to try to address in writing.
 18 April 2012 01:14 PM

DonaldFisher

Hi Richard,

Is there a particular technology (solar, wind, wave,etc) within renewables that you want to move into?

And what area (R&D, O&M, commercial, etc) within your preferred technology do you want to work in?

I moved into the renewable energy sector a couple of years back; started off working for a "small wind" manufacturer but have now progressed to a manufacturer in large wind - 500kW to 7MW.

I definitely seen the move to the smaller company as my stepping stone into renewables as my previous background was in civil engineering. The small wind sector is a bit of a cottage industry but it did give me enough exposure and experience to get me where I wanted to work - onshore and offshore wind farms.

JBB

-------------------------
JBB IEng MIET
 23 April 2012 07:54 PM

achilles3001

Thanks for your replies.

Semichipz - I'm located in Edinburgh.

JBB - I'd like to work in R&D but I'm pretty flexible regarding which technology that would be in.

Thanks

Richard
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.