Increase font size
Topic Title: Job advert website/employment agency
Topic Summary:
Created On: 13 May 2009 02:41 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 13 May 2009 02:41 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

sashi

Dear all,
Thinking of switching jobs. Just wanted to know if anyone could recommend a reputable jobsite advertising 'real' jobs. Also, any employment agencies you might recommend.

I've done loadsa modelling on MATLAB, and am looking for a position where I could put this to use, and hopefully make a living out of! I've sent CV's to some jobsites in the past, but I get the impression that they list fake adverts. Also, I've not had much luck with employment agencies as well.

Any help appreciated!
sashi

ps: send me a private message if that's more comfortable for you

-------------------------
Dr S Sivathasan, DPhil CEng
PRI IPRA (Queensland)

Edited: 13 May 2009 at 03:35 AM by sashi
 13 May 2009 08:50 AM

amillar

Unfortunately I can't advise any other route than applying to everyone you can. Companies frequently have 'sole agency' contracts with particular recruiters, so if you don't apply to many agencies you are effectively cutting yourself off from many potential employers.

Also, keep resending your CV, perhaps every month, to ensure that recruiters know that you are still looking.

See also PM.

Andy Millar CEng MIET CMgr MCMI

http://www.linkedin.com/in/millarandy

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress." Joseph Joubert
 13 May 2009 11:15 AM

katybain

The IET offer a jobs website where you can register your details and upload a CV, you can find details of this at: www.theiet.org/jobs or by going to the Jobs section under the Careers and Training tab.

There is also general information on writing a CV and applying for roles in our Career Options section at: www.theiet.org/career-options or by going to the Career Options section which is under the Careers and Training tab.

If you have a specific job profile in mind for the type of work that you are interested in then you may also like to use the online professional development system, Career Manager, to formulate a job profile from recognised engineering frameworks.

Kathryn Bain
IPD & Mentoring, Professional Development Dept
The Institution of Engineering and Technology
 13 May 2009 01:01 PM

mbirdi

13 May 2009 02:04 PM

sashi

Thanks all for your suggestions. I'm actually trying to make the leap from academia, and am looking for something in industry now.

cheers,
sashi

Dr S Sivathasan, DPhil CEng
PRI IPRA (Queensland)
 02 June 2009 03:40 PM

guy2010

If you are looking for oil jobs, that you could post your profile at Link removed/
 10 November 2009 08:56 AM

stevenprentice

If you are sending to employment agencies have you also phoned them a day or so later to have a chat with one of their people? Last time I was looking I built up a good relationship with one recruiter in the North west and got a job offer through him

I made a list of agencies and just went down the list each week looking for the new jobs and applying to the ones that looked good - I found that internet job agencies are quite passive and you have to apply rather than waiting for the jobs to find you.

I would also take a good hard look at the CV as well - not saying yours is bad but any little tweek and additional info is always good
 10 November 2009 03:59 PM

ernairnp

I have a doubt.

MATLAB is to be purchased. But there is a free software namely SCILAB. What are the capabilities of Scilab compared to Matlab for a power engineer?

I have experienced that Scilab can be used for Complex number calculations including Matrix Inverse. What are other uses for a power engineer?

Best wishes & regards
N P NAIR, MSc (Engg), C Eng, FIE(I), MIEE,Sr MIEEE.
 10 December 2009 04:37 PM

basil.wallace

Originally posted by: sahakeem

Yes, most advertised jobs do seem to be placed via employment agents, recruitment agencies or other such intermediaries.

I would like to add there are two types of job market in the UK; the advertised job market (based on 20% of the job vacancies) with increased competition from other candidates and the un-advertised or hidden job market (based on 80% of the job vacancies)

The only way to get the number of people needed for engineering is to :

Pay them attractive salaries
Stop treating them like nerds
Have more respect generally for engineering
Have a far higher understanding of what encourages people into engineering

Finally - keep those people still in engineering as engineers (rather than pen-pushers) so as to pass on their knowledge or experience otherwise engineering in the UK will die completely - it is in its final death-throws and another 5-10 years will see it in its grave unless there is a massive change in attitude now.

Engineers are the salvation of this country, and all of its problems.

--------------------------------------------------
Basil Wallace PgDip EngTech MIET

Edited: 14 December 2009 at 02:43 PM by basil.wallace
 16 December 2009 08:40 AM

Daniel789

I knew a good job site cloudjobs .net who provide a good service for the job seekers and job providers. They are specialized in matching the employees and employers. They are one of the best online job site. I used them to get a good job for my career. They were very much helpful.
 16 December 2009 11:44 AM

James789

Thank you for sharing such a nice and useful information about the Job sites. By the way have you heard about Cloud Computing Conference 2009 or cloudslam09.com. Cloud Slam09 conference is a International conference on Cloud Computing Events , innovations ,Covering latest trends . Cloudslam'09 conference is world's largest Conference on Cloud Computing and its technologies and It is the 1st Annual virtual conference on Cloud Computing. Cloud slam'09 provides a good opportunity to meet and talk with the leading experts of Cloud Computing. Cloudslam09 invites all the writers, editors and industry analysts covering the fields of cloud computing and networking. For more information please visit Link removed
 16 December 2009 02:27 PM

Samuel678

Great info and discussion. By the way here is an important information about Cloud Computing Conference 2010 or cloudslam10.com. Cloud Slam10 conference is a International conference on Cloud Computing Events, innovations,Covering latest trends Cloud Slam decided to make it a virtual event, since travel reduction and improved decision making are two greatest drivers of visual collaboration and communications. Cloudslam'10 conference is world's largest Conference on Cloud Computing and its technologies and It is the 2nd Annual virtual conference on Cloud Computing. Cloud slam'10 provides a good opportunity to meet and talk with the leading experts of Cloud Computing. Cloudslam10 invites all the writers, editors and industry analysts covering the fields of cloud computing and networking. For more information cloudslam10.com.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.