Increase font size
Topic Title: Post Nominals query
Topic Summary:
Created On: 21 January 2008 09:17 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 21 January 2008 09:17 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

andydavey

Good evening all. First time posting on this forum so not sure i am in the right place.

I have been a member of the IET for the last 2 years and have recently applied for IEng status (already have EngTech). In 2007 I was also awarded a City and Guilds GCGI in Leadership and management which entitles me to use GCGI post nominals.

My question is how do I use all these post nominals for my CV and in what order do they appear after my name?

Engtech/IEng, MIET GCGI??

Many thanks in advance

-------------------------
AMD IEng MIET
 21 January 2008 11:17 PM

intrinsic4225B

Some guidance on the use of designatory letters/post-nominals can be found in the Membership section of the website under 'Use of designatory letters'.

Hope this helps.
 21 January 2008 11:50 PM

danielscott

Originally posted by: andydavey

I have been a member of the IET for the last 2 years and have recently applied for IEng status (already have EngTech). In 2007 I was also awarded a City and Guilds GCGI in Leadership and management which entitles me to use GCGI post nominals.

My question is how do I use all these post nominals for my CV and in what order do they appear after my name?

Engtech/IEng, MIET GCGI??

Many thanks in advance

GCGI, IEng MIET

Daniel

22 January 2008 04:21 PM

andydavey

cheers ta!

AMD IEng MIET
 25 March 2008 04:31 PM

mikroz

I too have a query about the correct use of nominals.
Whilst I clearly understand the precedence given to decorations and academic awards I anticipate a problem with the forthcoming chartered status for members of the Chartered Quality Institute.
In my own case, I have a non-engineering degree which was recognised by the then IQA (now CQI) to satisfy membership criteria of that institution.
At present, my collection of post-nominals is:
BSc(Hons) IEng MIET MCQI.
From the end of this year, members of the CQI will acquire chartered status, thus 'Chartered MCQI' will apply.
In general, Chartered status is deemed to be superior to Incorporated status.
So the question is, how will I order the post nominals once I achieve the chartered status with the CQI?
Should it be:
BSc(Hons) Chartered MCQI IEng MIET or should I drop the IEng? All are relevant to my current employment.
Advice please!
Michael Jennings
 01 April 2008 12:08 PM

kturff

Michael

There are no rules around the order of professional qualifications, so you could use BSc(Hons) IEng MIET Chartered MCQI or vice versa. You can use them all, or use them selectively, if you have space constraints.

Katy Turff
Programme Manager
The IET

Katy Turff
Programme Manager
The Institution of Engineering and Technology
 01 April 2008 12:38 PM

diviner

I don't know how much notice is paid these days, but "Debrett's Correct Form" gives the following order for post-nominals:-

1. The abbreviations 'Bt.' or 'Bart.' and 'Esq.' as appropriate.
2. Orders and Decorations conferred by the Crown
3. Various appointments such as Privy Counsellor and Honorary Surgeon to the Queen (in a set order)
4. Q.C., J.P. and D.L.
5. University degrees
6a. Religious orders
6b. Medical qualifications
7a. Fellowships of Learned Societies
7b. Royal Academicians and Associates
7c. Fellowships, Memberships etc. of Professional bodies
7d. Writers to the Signet
8. M.P.
9. Membership of one of the armed forces - R.N., R.A.F. etc.

It further states that it is important to separate the post-nominals by these groups, even if ordering within the groups causes difficulty.

Drilling down into the professional bodies, it suggests the order should be that which best reflects their importance to your profession, or which best reflects the specific subject of the correspondence. If you also have chartered status or similar, that precedes the membership which grants it.

Thus, when corresponding here, the most appropriate order for my post-nominals is:

BSc(hons), MIET, CITP, MBCS, MIAP, FSS, CMat, CSci, MIMA

or

BSc(hons), CITP, MBCS, MIAP, MIET, FSS, CMat, CSci, MIMA

depending on whether the subject of discussion is general engineering (first list) or computer-related (second list)

whereas if I were writing to someone to discuss something within the field of general mathematics I would order them thus:

BSc(hons), CMat, CSci, MIMA, FSS, CITP, MBCS, MIAP, MIET

(If I have understood Debrett's correctly, that is)

Ian Gordon, MIET CITP MBCS
 24 October 2011 01:30 PM

overvoorde

Thanks for the info so far. I am a little confused though if you follow the Debretts Correct Form - does a GCGI (Graduateship of the City & Guilds Institute and, according to their information, equivalent to a BSc) class as a University degree or as a Fellowship/Membership of a professional body?

I, Like Andy the original poster, have the GCGI (in Leadership & Management, and Human Resources) and IEng, MIET so don't know whether to put GCGI, IEng, MIET or IEng, MIET, GCGI.

Or, would it be something I could adapt to the role I was looking to fulfil (GCGI first if going for a management/HR role, IEng first if an engineering role)?

Many thanks for any information.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.