Increase font size
Topic Title: Editing forum reply
Topic Summary: Using the 'edit' removes paragraph breaks
Created On: 04 August 2013 12:46 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04 August 2013 12:46 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

SailBadTheSinner

I just replied to a forum topic, then noticed a typo so I used the edit facility to correct it but the edited version has now lost all the line breaks between paragraphs running the whole reply into a single block of text.

I tried re-editing it to insert the line breaks but no joy.

Is this just me or is there a bug in your edit facility?
 04 August 2013 12:47 PM

SailBadTheSinner

I just replied to a forum topic, then noticed a typo so I used the edit facility to correct it but the edited version has now lost all the line breaks between paragraphs running the whole reply into a single block of text. I tried re-editing it to insert the line breaks but no joy Is this just me or is there a bug in your edit facility? Just like this!
 12 August 2013 05:08 PM

rossall

Sailbad

First of all, sorry that it has taken so long to reply. My fault - I missed this message.

I've tried this in a couple of browsers and been unable to reproduce it. What browser are you using, and on what operating system? Do you have any browser plug-ins?

I'm editing the message after posting it, to add this line.

Best regards

-------------------------
David Rossall
The Institution of Engineering and Technology
 31 October 2013 09:40 PM

jarathoon

This happens to me as well. Using both Chrome and IE9. I end up having to delete my posts and re-submit them.

However we will soon be migrating to the new platform used by the community discussions (apart from Wiring and Regulations forum) and this weird effect does not happen on the new system.

The new system has some draw backs which need fixing, but has a spell checker and other extra functionality to make up for it.

James Arathoon

James Arathoon
 05 November 2013 05:02 PM

rossall

Here's another try, using Chrome this time. My last test was done using Firefox.

Note that spell checkers are often available as browser features. That's how I do it in Firefox.

Edit: I've come back, again in Chrome, and edited the message to add this paragraph. Once again, there is no issue with loss of paragraph breaks. I'm a bit puzzled by this. I'll see whether other sites using this Fusetalk software have reported anything similar.

Regards

David Rossall
 05 November 2013 10:22 PM

jarathoon

Originally posted by: rossall Here's another try, using Chrome this time. My last test was done using Firefox. Note that spell checkers are often available as browser features. That's how I do it in Firefox. Edit: I've come back, again in Chrome, and edited the message to add this paragraph. Once again, there is no issue with loss of paragraph breaks. I'm a bit puzzled by this. I'll see whether other sites using this Fusetalk software have reported anything similar. Regards
Line 1 then one carrige return Line 2 then two carrige returns Line 3 then 3 carrige returns Line 4 end Edited. Viewed preview and this is fine

James Arathoon
 05 November 2013 10:26 PM

jarathoon

Originally posted by: jarathoon

Originally posted by: rossall

Here's another try, using Chrome this time. My last test was done using Firefox.

Note that spell checkers are often available as browser features. That's how I do it in Firefox.

Edit: I've come back, again in Chrome, and edited the message to add this paragraph. Once again, there is no issue with loss of paragraph breaks. I'm a bit puzzled by this. I'll see whether other sites using this Fusetalk software have reported anything similar.

Regards

Line 1 then one carrige return
Line 2 then two carrige returns

Line 3 then 3 carrige returns

Line 4 end

Edited. Viewed preview and this is fine

All carrige returns lost on update messsage, yet they reappear when viewing the quote.

Preview fines as well.

James Arathoon
 05 November 2013 10:27 PM

jarathoon

Carriage returns reappear in the quote. The the carriage returns seem to be there and not there at the same time. Weird. Now editing this post and all carriage returns will be lost.

James Arathoon

Edited: 05 November 2013 at 10:33 PM by jarathoon
 05 November 2013 10:36 PM

jarathoon

Carriage returns reappear in the quote.

The the carriage returns seem to be there and not there at the same time. Weird.

Now editing this post and all carriage returns will be lost.

Now they reappear in the quote. They must be there in the system if they reappear in the quote! They can't be lost at my end and then restored in just the right way to match what I originally wrote.

James Arathoon
 05 November 2013 10:39 PM

jarathoon

Originally posted by: jarathoon Carriage returns reappear in the quote. The the carriage returns seem to be there and not there at the same time. Weird. Now editing this post and all carriage returns will be lost.
Now they reappear in the quote. They must be there in the system if they reappear in the quote! They can't be lost at my end and then restored in just the right way to match what I originally wrote.
Now edited with Chrome. Now edited again with Chrome Now edited once again with Chrome. Preview Fine

James Arathoon
 05 November 2013 10:43 PM

jarathoon

Carriage returns reappear in the quote.

The the carriage returns seem to be there and not there at the same time. Weird.

Now editing this post and all carriage returns will be lost.

Now edited with Chrome.

Now edited again with Chrome

Now edited once again with Chrome. Preview Fine

Now quoted

James Arathoon
 06 November 2013 12:05 PM

rossall

Regards

Will follow this comment line by two carriage returns

and then another line of comments.

Looks as expected except that my original message above is now triple-spaced, i.e. three blank lines between each pair of paragraphs.

David Rossall
 06 November 2013 12:13 PM

rossall

Apologies to anyone who's watching what is rapidly becoming a test thread and finding it repetitive...

To summarise so far, it looks as though, when I do the same as jarathoon by quoting my previous message, I don't get the same problem. Therefore there is an element of local configuration in this. It would help if you could mention not only which browser you are using, but also which platform (Windows, Mac, mobile and if so whether iOS or Android and tablet or phone).

I am not clear whether the problem occurs only in messages with quotes, or in all replies. One of jarathoon's messages below has missing returns in the main body (i.e. not in the quote), so it may be the latter. Again, it would help to know whether you have seen this in your replies that did not use quotes.

Regards

David Rossall
 06 November 2013 04:34 PM

jarathoon

Apologies to anyone who's watching what is rapidly becoming a test thread and finding it repetitive...

To summarise so far, it looks as though, when I do the same as jarathoon by quoting my previous message, I don't get the same problem. Therefore there is an element of local configuration in this. It would help if you could mention not only which browser you are using, but also which platform (Windows, Mac, mobile and if so whether iOS or Android and tablet or phone).

I am not clear whether the problem occurs only in messages with quotes, or in all replies. One of jarathoon's messages below has missing returns in the main body (i.e. not in the quote), so it may be the latter. Again, it would help to know whether you have seen this in your replies that did not use quotes.

Regards

When I quote your test the number of carriage returns doubles in your quoted text. There is something clearly going wrong at the server end which involves the client specs somehow.

If you want to know my operating system or other details of my system please contact me direct.

James Arathoon
 06 November 2013 04:35 PM

jarathoon

Originally posted by: rossall Apologies to anyone who's watching what is rapidly becoming a test thread and finding it repetitive... To summarise so far, it looks as though, when I do the same as jarathoon by quoting my previous message, I don't get the same problem. Therefore there is an element of local configuration in this. It would help if you could mention not only which browser you are using, but also which platform (Windows, Mac, mobile and if so whether iOS or Android and tablet or phone). I am not clear whether the problem occurs only in messages with quotes, or in all replies. One of jarathoon's messages below has missing returns in the main body (i.e. not in the quote), so it may be the latter. Again, it would help to know whether you have seen this in your replies that did not use quotes. Regards
When I quote your test the number of carriage returns doubles in your quoted text. There is something clearly going wrong at the server end which involves the client specs somehow. If you want to know my operating system or other details of my system please contact me direct. Repeat with Edit Done.

James Arathoon
 06 November 2013 04:44 PM

jarathoon

Regards

When I quote your test the number of carriage returns doubles in your quoted text. There is something clearly going wrong at the server end which involves the client specs somehow.

If you want to know my operating system or other details of my system please contact me direct.

Repeat with Edit Done.

Repeat by Quote from Edited Text. This is going so blatantly wrong it should be easy to spot in the server code if you have access to it.

There must be some message parsing function on "Reply to Topic" that is different from "preview", that is different to "Update Message".

James Arathoon
 06 November 2013 04:59 PM

jarathoon

Of course if there are no major differences between the text parsing code on these three functions, then there is the remote possibility that an aggressive monitoring scheme applied by a third party is inadvertently adding in the corruptions

Written using Google Chrome

James Arathoon
 06 November 2013 05:17 PM

jarathoon

Actually no I am wrong it is probably the thread viewing is not actually working. The carriage returns are being stored in the data ok, but perhaps extra character is being added to the text when the update message button is pressed (in my case) that forces the display code to fail. The extra carriage returns being added is a completely separate problem. Also while I am thinking about it there is an update and preview problem when you put more than 3 minus sign dashes in a row Edited with signature

James Arathoon

Edited: 06 November 2013 at 05:40 PM by jarathoon
 11 November 2013 09:56 AM

rossall

We'll take a further look at the display issue as soon as time and resource allows. You're correct that you cannot put sequences of dashes into messages, but this is related to codes that can be used in attacks on the forums, to which they are regularly subject. We need to have defences in place, and therefore, regrettably, that restriction will remain.

Regards

David Rossall
 12 November 2013 01:02 PM

jarathoon

Thank you.

James Arathoon
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.