IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: I'm an engineer get me out of here.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 20 June 2013 01:18 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 20 June 2013 01:18 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

amandalewin

Hi everyone.

I'm taking part in the event 'I'm an engineer get me out of here!' which is an online programme run over several weeks where students can talk to and question a variety of engineers.

Here is my profile http://detectionj13.imanengine...k/profile/amandalewin

Now the reason I'm posting this here is because they do different 'zones' and I'm in the Detection zone talking about my work designing fire alarm systems as well as general building services. They were going to run a computing one but couldn't because there was not enough interest. I thought this was a bit odd as there are loads of engineers that use computers or could link their work with computing.

I asked the people who organise is about their advertising method as I was only brought on at the last min and they said that because the 'zones' are sponsered by the STFC so the advertising has to be done through them so they are suitably represented.

So the point of my rambling is would the IET be interested in sponsoring an I'm an engineer zone?

I've been able to communicate with so many students just over the last 3 days (and the backlog of offline questions I have to answer is quite impressive too!) that I think it is proving to be a good way of promoting STEM.

-------------------------
Amanda

'At some point we all must chose between what is right and what is awesome'
 21 June 2013 05:23 PM

GJAMES

Hello Amanda

The answer is simple, yes we would. In fact I have met with Shane McCracken (of I'm An Engineer... Fame) on several occasions to try to move it forward and was a little disappointed when they didn't submit an application to our Education Fund. It costs £5k to sponsor a zone which I did not have spare in this year's budget to be able to support the programme outside of the Education Fund but I will pick up the discussions with him to see if we can move it forward for the future.

I hope that helps, and if there are any members looking at this thread who would like to be involved in this very effective form of web-based schools engagement then it would help give this initiative more impetus.

Best wishes

Gareth

Head of Education 5-19

Gareth James

Head of Education 5-19
The Institution of Engineering and Technology
 24 June 2013 08:51 PM

amandalewin

Thanks for your response Gareth!

I'm pleased to hear that the IET have considered it hopefully we will be able to sponsor a zone next year.

Amanda

26 June 2013 05:02 PM

amandalewin

I was evicted today

One thing I will say is it does take up a lot of time. Think you need to do the majority of chats if you want to stay in the running plus you need a couple of hours a night to answer questions. I was on site Monday and couldn't do any chats which I think is a cause of my early exit! At least I wasn't first out

Amanda

Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.