IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Are all IET awards clearly listed on this website?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10 June 2013 11:27 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10 June 2013 11:27 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

amillar

I was just sent an e-mail about the IET/ACostE Terry Bishop Award (link), and I note that this does not appear to be listed on this website in the Awards section. This seems to beg two questions:
a) why not? and
b) how many other IET Awards are there around which are also not listed?

Any feedback would be appreciated. It may well be that there are IET awards which we could be applying for but simply don't know about.

Many thanks,

Andy

-------------------------
Andy Millar CEng MIET CMgr MCMI

http://www.linkedin.com/in/millarandy

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress." Joseph Joubert
 11 June 2013 08:21 AM

DavidParr

Yes, there appear to be some awards that are more difficult to find. I say this as someone who won the first Terry Bishop Award in 2011, and I got the feeling that this wasn't particularly recognised by the IET (although the IET representative Bruce McLelland was excellent).

This is perhaps because the award was hosted jointly by the ACostE and IET, with the award presentation part of an ACostE event. I had a wonderful evening, and IET.tv did interview me.

Regards,

David Parr BSc.CEng MIET
PRA
 11 June 2013 10:17 AM

Linda D

This year for the first time we have brought together most of the IET's awards in a booklet. This will be updated annually and will be available from January each year in hard and soft copy.

We also have a section on the IET website which links to the awards websites for the IET's major awards programmes. www.theiet.org/awards

The Awards Book does not include all awards that the IET is associated with, but it does include the major awards schemes that the IET runs every year; these awards have regular deadlines and application processes. There are other awards which the IET is involved in through other Institutions or organisations and often prizes are given as part of conferences. These are not included.

This Terry Bishop Award is organised by the IET's Project Controls Network jointly with the ACOSTE. The organisers have promoted this award through emails, MyCommunity, posters, banners and carousels which have been placed on various pages of the website. Social media such as LinkedIn and Twitter have also been used.

The first Award was made in 2011, it is semi-regular but it is still in its infancy. The process is outlined on this page http://www.theiet.org/events/2013/179441.cfm but these might change the next time it is organised. The ACOSTE mainly drive this.

Linda Deleay
Awards and Prizes Manager
The Institution of Engineering and Technology

Edited: 11 June 2013 at 01:20 PM by Linda D
 11 June 2013 10:26 AM

Linda D

Please find a link to the Awards Book 2013

Awards Book 2013

Linda Deleay
 11 June 2013 02:52 PM

amillar

Hi Linda,

Thanks for your reply. Is there any reason why awards in which the IET is involved through other Institutions or organisations cannot be listed on the awards page? It does seem a bit odd getting a message about an IET award (I got it through LinkedIn) which isn't mentioned there.

Or at least add a line to that page (and the brochure) saying something like "the IET also from time to time supports other awards in conjunction with third party organisations, these are publicised to members through the usual IET communication channels".

But actually listing them would be much tidier.

Thanks,

Andy

Andy Millar CEng MIET CMgr MCMI

http://www.linkedin.com/in/millarandy

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress." Joseph Joubert
 12 June 2013 04:31 PM

Linda D

Hi Andy,

Thanks very much for your suggestions, we will consider these when we update the brochure. We will also update the Awards web page

Best wishes

Linda Deleay

Edited: 12 June 2013 at 04:55 PM by Linda D
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.