IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: E&T Magazine - Downloading Bibliographic Entries &c.
Topic Summary: Can we have Digital Library style functions on the E&T website please?!
Created On: 22 June 2012 11:38 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 22 June 2012 11:38 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

rjhaines

In common with many academics & researchers, I use a bibliographic database (in my case, EndNote) to keep a record of everything I read that is of interest, on account of my not having a brain the size of a planet!

If I read a paper of interest in (say) an IEEE or ACM publication, their website gives me both the ability to download all the citation data (for me to import into my database) and the ability to download a nice crisp PDF of the entire paper, exactly as seen in the magazine, for my future reference. This is free for me (assuming it's a magazine/journal that's included in my membership).

Unfortunately, IET's E&T now doesn't seem to make it to the IEEE Explore system (whereas the old sector-specific magazines, e.g. IEE Communications, did), so I never get that option. You can do this in the IET Digital Library (if you subscribe) after a wait of a month or so, but wouldn't it be nice to have both of these functions (download citation, download PDF) on the E&T website? The horrible print-to-PDF option that we currently have just doesn't cut it - it could be much more professional for a learned institution!

Russ.

-------------------------
Eur Ing Dr. Russell J. Haines BEng(Hons) CEng FIET SMIEEE SMACM AMRI
IET Bristol Chair, College/Schools Liaison; Publicity; Acting Hon. Sec.
http://www.theiet.org/bristol, Twitter: @IETbristol
 22 June 2012 12:21 PM

rjhaines

PS: Just to add insult to injury, I just got a marketing-speak email from the IET crowing about a new iPad format (great... if you've got an iPad): "Important membership benefits update ... you can now access the award winning content in a format and frequency that suits you."

Errm - how about PDF and .enw (or even Bibtex!) - that's the format that would "suit me"!!

Hmmph...

22 June 2012 12:36 PM

StewartTaylor

iPad only...

Just another piece of evidence that E&T is by media people for media people.

Engineers? What are they?

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
 25 June 2012 01:22 PM

aweaver

Just wanted to reply to Russ to confirm that E&T is available on IEEE Xplore with the text in PDF and the citations available for download.
Best regards
Amanda

Amanda Weaver
Publishing Director
The IET
tel: +44 1438 765574
e-mail: aweaver@theiet.org
 10 September 2012 03:58 PM

rjhaines

Hi Amanda,

I sit corrected, E&T *is* available in IEEEXplore, so yay for us that also have IEEE membership... that does indeed fix half my problem, I can now get lovely high-def PDF versions of articles that grab my fancy. Sorry - don't know how I didn't spot E&T in there before.

But (sorry!) there are still a few outstanding issues:

Firstly, consider http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl....jsp?isnumber=6251970, the latest issue available today in September is July's - i.e. Xplore is at least 2, possibly 3, months behind hard copy distribution.

Secondly, it's not the case that all articles/sections have downloadable citations - sticking with the same example, the Editor's Letter, World News, The Big Picture, News, The Graphic, ... all the way through to After All do not. By eye, I'd guess that's about 40-50% with no citations.

It seems to be that the "Free" articles don't have citations, whereas the ones where I need to use my IEEE subscription do (and I think my irony meter just exploded!).

Best regards,

Russ.

Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.