IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: On-line payments not working?
Topic Summary: Can't renew membership online
Created On: 23 December 2011 05:45 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 23 December 2011 05:45 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jasonross

I'm trying to pay for my membership online with a credit card, instead of using my direct debit (I'm no longer in the UK and I'm closing the account with the DD on it).

When I get to the "Renewals and Payments" page with the details of my subscription status, and click "View Payment Options" I get the message:

An error has occurred

The IET web site has encountered an error when processing this page. This may be because:
There was a slow response from a server
There is a fault which requires attention

Has anyone else experienced this problem?
 28 December 2011 11:43 PM

rossall

Please cancel your direct debit before attempting to make payments by other means. We will investigate the error that you encountered.

Regards

-------------------------
David Rossall
The Institution of Engineering and Technology
 29 December 2011 11:55 PM

jasonross

Thanks David

Unfortunately I can't find a page which allows me to cancel my direct debit online - would you mind sending me a link please?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Jason
 31 December 2011 08:37 AM

SAVIO

The IET is very efficient. They will call you and ask for your credit card details and in a second, your membership subscription is paid.
 01 January 2012 02:40 AM

jasonross

I tried to call the membership offices, but on 23rd December at around 3pm I could only reach an answering machine which advised me that the offices would close at 5pm(!) and re-open on the 3rd of January.

A little late for changing a direct debit which goes out on the 3rd.

I appreciate I was rather late calling, and that the offices will obviously be closed over Christmas, but it would be nice to be able to change payment details online.
 03 January 2012 05:14 AM

Avatar for timothyboler                                      .
timothyboler

I have a similar problem. I was sent a letter in Nov saying my subscription was overdue. I've only just got round to paying online (like I always do) and the MyIET renewal page says I have "No Outstanding Subscriptions".

I then clicked the "Contact IET" link underneath which lead me to a dead page!

This should be so simple and easy like it normally is. Why does the IET keep messing around with the website and breaking things? Is this where all our subscription money goes? We need less snazz, sparkle and sprawl and more simple, organized and functional web-pages.

Regards, Tim

Everyone loves a fireman - but hates the fire inspector.
 03 January 2012 10:13 AM

rossall

I have asked colleagues from customer services to contact jasonross and timothyboler directly.

Other members with direct debits may wish to know that, as mentioned in this thread, payments due this month will be taken this week as previously notified. However, owing to volumes, it will take until the end of next week to identify any unsuccessful payments. The affected members will then be contacted to offer payment via other means (including credit card over the Web).

You can of course cancel a direct debit with your bank at any time. This will result in a failure when the IET attempts to collect your subscriptions, so please notify us as soon as possible if you do so.

David Rossall
 04 January 2012 05:05 AM

Avatar for timothyboler                                      .
timothyboler

Thanks for the fast response. It appears that after a number of weeks of a pending payment the online payment facility is withdrawn. It's been fixed now.

Here is the broken link "Contact Membership" under the "View payment options" link:

http://www.theiet.org/help/404...ip/contacts/index.cfm/

Regards, Tim

Everyone loves a fireman - but hates the fire inspector.
 08 March 2012 09:29 AM

balchan

: I too faced the same issue for the past 3 months. They said it was put in order but still same problem. I has to resort to the native method of going to the Bank prepare a Bank Draft and post it to IET. It took me half day waiting for the DRAFT to be prepared by the BAnk personel. I had to travel another direction to the Post Office and wait for another 1 hour when my turn came to register the letter to IET. We are in the modern era and architects of new technology and we have this problem Please do something fast not for 3 months same problem.
 08 March 2012 05:37 PM

rossall

I am sorry that you are experiencing problems.

This is a busy time of year for renewals, and many members are using the system successfully. Individual issues sometimes relate to such things as whether the member is on a direct debit (in which case payment via the Web is not offered, in order to avoid double payments), and the expiry of grace periods where a member has not renewed within the normal time frame (in which case payment may cease to be offered because membership has lapsed).

We have also seen some conflicts between the 3-D Secure systems that banks require in our provider's payment pages, and security measures in members' browsers. These issues are discussed on the page to which I have linked.

In the event of any questions, please contact Member and Customer Services, who will be happy to assist you.

David Rossall
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.