IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: New Website
Topic Summary: I'm not feeling navved, let alone mega-navved ;-)
Created On: 15 November 2011 04:14 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 15 November 2011 04:14 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

rjhaines

Inspired by the November edition of Information Matters and Keith's pitch that the revised website which has (finally!) arrived will be "much more intuitive and user-friendly", I've had a poke about on it today: I wish I hadn't now!

Has anyone else had problems such as this: (screen grab) where, despite being logged in, it asks you to log in again (and no, there wasn't a long pause where a time-out could've fired off).

Also, missed opportunity: when I'm logged in, why does the Events mini-column still show me events from London and around the world? Why not tailor it to events near me, and/or specific to my interests?

And why can't I configure the page (cf. iGoogle) to include mini-columns that I'm actually interested in or, at the very least, move them to the top?!

Aesthetic/familiarity moans aside (e.g. I can't find stuff now! I can't find my local LN! Where have the TPNs gone?!), I can't see what took three months or whatever it was to roll out, I'm afraid. Maybe my expectations had drifted too high... no doubt boosted by the arrival of my hefty annual subscription bill (at the risk of drifting off-topic slightly there...).

Russ.

-------------------------
Eur Ing Dr. Russell J. Haines BEng(Hons) CEng FIET SMIEEE SMACM AMRI
IET Bristol Chair, College/Schools Liaison; Publicity; Acting Hon. Sec.
http://www.theiet.org/bristol, Twitter: @IETbristol
 15 November 2011 04:41 PM

jcm256

Yes, you can't grab it to log out. The green bar jumps behind the top tool bar, which I need and am not going to shift it.
Regards
jcm
 15 November 2011 11:12 PM

CliveM

Regarding the ability to logout. If you click on the green tab at the top of the page, the one which says login/My IET, it will cause the login details, complete with a logout button to descend and stay there. I have already raised this as an issue with the IET IT people who have said they will be re-looking at this aspect of the site.

Regarding the need to login again I think this has always been an extra layer of security on the old site when you are accessing your own details. I may be wrong but I am sure someone from the IT department will comment on this.

Clive Maude
 16 November 2011 06:36 PM

slove

All,

The issue with the log-in bar is a know issue and we are dealing with it at the moment. I apologise if it has caused you any inconvenience. I expect a resolution before the end of the week. As with everything new, there have been a few bugs. The team are working hard to resolve them.

In regards to being able to find content, we believe that users will actually find it easier to locate content with the new navigation. If you are a regular user there is always a process to go through just because your routes to well used pages have changed. I'm suffering from it myself at the moment.

As for the events, again we are working on delivering tailored events feed to each page -by subject and location. You should be seeing this rolled out, by subject first, very soon. The whole are of personalisation is one we will be addressing in our development cycle.

In My IET, under the activity tab you get a feed of events based on your subject and LN choices. That may be of some use to you.

LNs and TPNs are now under Get Involved.

I hope once you get used to it, you find that the changes we have made improve the user experience of our website and that you can find content more easily.

We appreciate your feedback and please do let us know if you have any more.

Stewart Love
Manager, Digital Services
The Institution of Engineering and Technology
 17 November 2011 12:48 AM

sfchew

Referring to
LNs and TPNs are now under Get Involved.

Is TPN inside the communities or sectors?

Regards
Chris Chew
 17 November 2011 10:41 AM

slove

TPNs are now referred to as communities.

Stewart Love
 17 November 2011 11:01 AM

slove

Alan

You're right, in some areas of industry bugs are viewed very differently than they are in web development. The good thing with the bugs we do have though is that they are very unlikely to cause anybody to die or any planes to fall on people's heads

Of course we strive to launch everything we do with no bugs at all. However, with using different technologies and programming languages to deliver a website combined with users accessing them through a variety of browsers, making sure you have zero bugs before you launch a new product is very difficult. Its a problem that affects the whole industry, not just us here at the IET.

Stewart Love
 17 November 2011 03:45 PM

rossall

Originally posted by: CliveMRegarding the need to login again I think this has always been an extra layer of security on the old site when you are accessing your own details. I may be wrong but I am sure someone from the IT department will comment on this.

This is correct. We have been aware, from when we first linked the Web site to the membership systems, that the IET site can have access to more personal information than would necessarily be the case for a typical Web site.

Remember Me means that it is possible to close a browser on a public or semi-public machine, and still be logged in next time that browser is opened. Therefore we protected those parts of My IET that have contact details and other personal information; if you have used Remember Me, we ask you to log in again to access them.

This protection has been in place for quite a number of years.

Hope this helps.

Regards

David Rossall
 23 November 2011 01:08 AM

Avatar for garethbingham                                     .
garethbingham

This really seems to be an example of poor Beta testing for this to actually make it into a final form as published. It still has not been fixed to date along with a more basic problem I have where it takes me on average 6 attempts to log in before it allows me on the site; not that good a situation if you are appointed Registrar and Moderator for several live Assessments, These issues originally were reported over two weeks ago and it took a nudge from one of the staff at the IET to get any sort of reply from the IT Team. Then the message more or less asked me if I still had issues with it! No Brainer considering I was chasing up an unanswered request of nearly three weeks standing.
 17 December 2011 11:28 PM

mero

I also have a problem jumping on the green ribbon toolbar and do not know why and how do I do, but after much effort and reached for a solution

[URL=Link removed]trip to malaysia[/URL] | [URL=Link removed]hotels in Malaysia[/URL] | [URL=Link removed]malaysia directory[/URL]
 19 December 2011 01:26 PM

rossall

Originally posted by: g3xoi
"Remember me" doesn't!

I'll pick this up on the thread that covers Remember Me.

David Rossall
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.