Increase font size
Topic Title: Remember Me - not working
Topic Summary:
Created On: 31 October 2011 10:09 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 31 October 2011 10:09 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

tickner

My login to the myIET doesn't seem to be remembering me and I have to login each visit. I'm on a login protected profile, so I usually set auto login.

This is an issue because any unread post is marked as read when I log in!

(Browser is Chrome/14.0.835.202 m on WinXP going a through a corporate firewall)

-------------------------
Mark Tickner CEng MIET
 02 November 2011 06:29 PM

rossall

Mark

We have had some reports of this in the past - I don't believe that it is likely to be related to the recent site redesign.

We do take some necessary security measures around Remember Me, and you may have fallen foul of these. Obviously I'm not going to go into details in public, but please drop me a PM if you would like us to look into this further.

Regards

David Rossall
The Institution of Engineering and Technology
 03 November 2011 07:45 AM

tickner

David,

It's behaving right now. I'm suspecting that Chome might have done a silent update or a cookie got invalidated. And yes, I've had that issue in the past - it's not due to the re-design.

It would, however, be nice if Fusetalk could remember where I was when I log in from different machines - like phpbb and others do. But I understand that you are protecting sensitive information.

Mark Tickner CEng MIET
 03 November 2011 10:12 AM

rossall

Mark

On that second point, I am happy to make a suggestion to the producers of the software. However, I'm not sure that, from my own use of phpBB, SMF and other systems, I am clear on what you mean.

I tried logging out of a phpBB forum while in a specific category (which in this system might be Feedback and Questions). Then I logged in from another browser. I ended up on the main forum listing page, rather than in the category where I had been before.

I have to confess to normally working from the main forum page in the services that I use, so I may have missed something. If you could give me more details, I'll make enquiries.

Regards

David Rossall
 03 November 2011 12:47 PM

tickner

David,

I'll give you an example - I access a phpbb forum from 2 different devices.

I access it with the first and read some posts but not all.
Later in the day I access it with a different device - those posts that were unread the first time I accessed it are still unread.

If I do the same with fusetalk, it's highly likely that some of the previously unread posts will now appear to be read (although I haven't).

Mark Tickner CEng MIET
 03 November 2011 05:15 PM

rossall

Hi Mark

The difference with Fusetalk, I believe, from phpBB, is that Fusetalk stores your date of last use in a cookie (so it is machine specific), whereas phpBB appears to store it in your user account on the server (so it is independent of which client you use to access on a particular occasion).

However, that should produce the opposite effect; Fusetalk will tend to show too many threads as new, because your browser cookies are "not aware" of your intermediate access on another machine or browser.

I'll pass this on as feedback.

Regards

David Rossall
 19 December 2011 01:56 PM

rossall

Just picking up on this again after comments in this thread and this one that Remember Me is not working.

First, by Remember Me I mean the function that allows you to be "recognised" again automatically by the site, so that you do not need to log in when you return. This is different from allowing your Web browser to remember your username and password; in this latter case, you can press the log in button without completing those fields, because the browser remembers them for you. This is generally known as auto-completion.

We have disabled auto-completion because of PCI compliance. The IET is required under the terms of its agreement with its bank to comply with PCI standards in order to take credit card payments.

However, the recent design change should not have affected the working of the Remember Me function. If you are finding problems, I suggest that you submit a report via the Webmaster form, being as specific as possible about times, dates, and whether you are likely to have been connecting from the same network. For example, users taking laptops and other devices to a variety of locations may find that Remember Me is not so successful as where the PC remains using the same connection.

Regards

David Rossall
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.