Increase font size
Topic Title: IET Wiring Regulations
Topic Summary: Free to Member!
Created On: 13 August 2011 09:33 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 13 August 2011 09:33 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

SAVIO

Many engineering institutions get free of charge of their publication to their members, like ASHRAE free copy of ASHRAE Handbook every year to their member. Also, CIBSE gives their CIBSE guide to their members every year for free.

Why can't IET give their IET Wiring Regulations to their members for free once every amendment or new issue?

It only cost them GBP80 for every single issue. Over the years, my membership subscriptions are over GBP1000!
 16 August 2011 05:29 PM

aweaver

Dear Savio
Thank you for your suggestions on the provision of the Wiring Regulations to members. We have recently updated our pricing structure for the Wiring Regulations and related publications to try ensure that IET members get the best deals available in the market. The 1st Amendment to the 17th Edition of the Wiring Regulations is available at a member price of £52 (35% discount) - compared with an Amazon price of £58.94. Our other books and the digital packages including the Wiring Regulations will also be available at a 35% discount.
In addition to this we are talking to members in the electrical installation sector to understand whether a customized membership package might be of interest to them and what this would need to include.
Amanda Weaver

-------------------------
Amanda Weaver
Publishing Director
The IET
tel: +44 1438 765574
e-mail: aweaver@theiet.org
 18 August 2011 12:14 PM

Jim Harden

If anyone thinks the IET is going to listen to its members and give them anything free, no matter how small, they are mistaken.

Lets be honest the IET is a business that is out to make money from its limited market - us members. The more they can "fleece" from us the better the leadership will like it.

One has only to look at the fees - other organisations have taken into account the current ecconomic situation and ammended their fees accordingly - the IET continues to increase theirs.

Jim Harden
 18 August 2011 01:36 PM

ectophile

I can't think why most members would have any need for the IEE Wiring Regulations. People have already complained about the cost of the IET sending diaries to all members. Sending out a big thick book would be a complete waste of money.

S P Barker BSc PhD MIET
 18 August 2011 05:26 PM

danielscott

Originally posted by: ectophile

I can't think why most members would have any need for the IEE Wiring Regulations. People have already complained about the cost of the IET sending diaries to all members. Sending out a big thick book would be a complete waste of money.

I agree, especially since I am a Mechanical Engineer, but I do appreciate receiving the diaries each year.

Daniel
 24 August 2011 08:59 AM

SAVIO

Dear Amanda,

It was a great idea from our member, mbirdi that IET can provide free pdf files of IET Wiring Regulations for members only free download in IET website.

What do you think?
 24 August 2011 01:30 PM

ectophile

Originally posted by: SAVIO

Dear Amanda,

It was a great idea from our member, mbirdi that IET can provide free pdf files of IET Wiring Regulations for members only free download in IET website.

What do you think?

If you're not very careful, the regulations would be available for free download by anybody in the World within minutes. You would just have to go to one of the popular file sharing sites.

You would have to add a digital signature to each downloaded copy, unique to the member who downloaded it. And even then, I expect it would still end up on the file sharing sites.

S P Barker BSc PhD MIET

Edited: 24 August 2011 at 01:36 PM by ectophile
 27 August 2011 09:13 AM

SAVIO

To: IET

mbirdi's idea is great! IET could put the IET Wiring Regulations in view pages online for members only like ASHRAE Journal online version.

Could IET do that?
 02 September 2011 03:09 PM

dhoussein

That still wouldn't prevent piracy.
 03 September 2011 08:02 AM

SAVIO

Then, why other engineering institution can do and IET cannot?

ASHRAE membership subscription is US$195 and their ASHRAE Handbook also costs US$195 and they can give their ASHRAE Handbook free of charge every year to their members.

How can they do that? Should IET really have to seriously review its members benefits?
 03 September 2011 09:46 AM

afwilson

ASHRAE appears to give to its members a publication with a value equal to or greater than their membership subscription. Membership charities in the UK cannot do that, as it would be contrary to Charity Law. The Charity Commission provides guidance on this point which explains that "The level of non-charitable 'private benefit' that members of a charity can receive is also an important consideration, particularly in the case of learned societies or professional bodies in which there are quite tight restrictions to membership. Charities need to ensure that the distribution of membership benefits does not cause their charity to fail the public benefit test that is a prerequisite for charitable status." (RS7) This means effectively that if the IET were to give all members an additional publication (whether the Wiring Regulations or something else), the level of the membership fees would have to be increased by at least the price of the publication.

Clearly increasing the fees of all members by £80 in order to be able to give them a 'free' copy of the Wiring Regulations would make no sense, unless all members already bought a copy, which is far from the case.

The CIBSE case is different. Its fees are £216 and what it gives to its members for 'free' has a much lower price atttached to it.

Originally posted by: SAVIO

Then, why other engineering institution can do and IET cannot?

ASHRAE membership subscription is US$195 and their ASHRAE Handbook also costs US$195 and they can give their ASHRAE Handbook free of charge every year to their members.

Andrew F Wilson
IET Governance & Legal Affairs
 06 September 2011 06:05 AM

SAVIO

So apparently I joined the wrong institution!
 08 November 2013 07:43 PM

portabletesting

How is the CIBSE case different?

I utilise both CIBSE and IET portals and dont see your arguement afwilson.

Other european countries such as Spain make their wiring regulations readily available via their industry bodies; if you are truely looking to increase standards then the wiring regulations should be freely available.

How do you calculate a book value of 80gbp "for charitable purposes" when people like amazon can sell it for under 60.

The IET is loosing touch with the 'electrical engineering' membership and focussing more and more on the Technology side of things, bring back the IEE.
 08 November 2013 10:28 PM

ectophile

Originally posted by: portabletesting

Other european countries such as Spain make their wiring regulations readily available via their industry bodies; if you are truely looking to increase standards then the wiring regulations should be freely available.

I wouldn't count on it. More likely, you'd get a bunch of people downloading their free copy of the Wiring Regulations, then assuming that makes them competent to re-wire their own houses.

S P Barker BSc PhD MIET
 09 November 2013 07:55 AM

SAVIO

I know CIBSE also allow its members to free download of their publications such as CIBSE guides with digital signature of the members' name, membership number and email address at the side of each page.

I don't see there is much difference between the IET and CIBSE as they are the UK Professional Engineering Institutions.

Why does CIBSE has no such worry?
 14 December 2013 11:54 AM

deleted_1_AngelLaHash

when the book was first out it was £80, wait a year and it dropped to £75 ish and a bit longer i guess £60
I brought mine for £70 and was classed as best deal in my class
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.