Increase font size
Topic Title: should i join IET as MIET
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07 July 2011 11:37 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07 July 2011 11:37 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

deepgagan

hello everybuddy ,

i thank all of u for helping me out .
i just want to know why should i join IET give me a real good reason.
i am a post graduate in electrical engineering. very joinig a university as assistant prof.

m a new one so such thngs are here with me ....
 07 July 2011 05:07 PM

peteTLM

Well having that post coming up, you will need to keep up with technology and current affairs as part of your CPD, and the IET will enable you to do that via online access and magazine subscription. You also get access to a lot of member events that Joe public will never see.
I should get a job in marketing

P

-------------------------
----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 07 July 2011 08:27 PM

deepgagan

no there are other standard technical societies also ..like IEEE, IE, and many more and they also do the same things ...quite similar...
 09 July 2011 11:00 AM

simongallagher

Hi there,

I am very supportive of the IET, but this is the problem, what is the reason for joining?

In my opinion, the reasons that Pete mentioned are totally void (sorry!), how can anyone use the IET to keep up to date in their sector? Not through E&T, because that has as much Engineering in it as a football mag. I'm a power Engineer, and all that is in there for me is endless articles about wind turbines, PV and oil rigs.

Fair enough there is access to journals (at a cost), but most people who need these have access anyway (University accounts, work access etc).

Also, most events and courses are open to non members anyway. Granted, it takes member effort to put them on, and some LNs have excellent events.

The Professional home for life is a strong pull, but this needs to be supported by sector relevant publications and real support for members in the careers, (and after as well).

Regards,

Simon
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.