Increase font size
Topic Title: IET Elections 2011
Topic Summary:
Created On: 23 June 2011 08:17 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 23 June 2011 08:17 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

tickner

I have just received an email for the online elections for the IET - which is good. I'm happy to vote online.

However, what is missing is the candidates statements. I generally like to flick through these before I vote.

So, is there a link on the website to where these statements can be found? or do I have to go into the vote system itself to get them?

It would be a tad silly if they where being sent by post!

-------------------------
Mark Tickner CEng MIET
 23 June 2011 11:12 AM

afwilson

The candidate statements are on the voting website. They have not been sent to you separately.

Andrew F Wilson
IET Governance & Legal Affairs
 23 June 2011 12:47 PM

westonpa

Originally posted by: mbirdi
The IET might as well pick out the winners from a hat.

Hats off to the winners then.

Regards.
 26 June 2011 08:34 AM

Simon750

Been having a read through the information for the candidates.

Can't really see anything ground breaking in any of them.

As said before, what is actually going to change? From what I just read, not a whole lot

Simon Long CMgr FCMI FInstLM
 27 June 2011 06:21 PM

rossall

Members may be aware that the IET has a tradition of avoiding electioneering, and for this reason current candidates will not feel able to take part in this debate. However, Member News is one of the means by which members are informed of what is happening, and includes for example reports from a new Council member and a volunteer with a range of experience.

David Rossall
The Institution of Engineering and Technology
 27 June 2011 07:06 PM

roddalitz

Yes, well, there is a big difference between (as you say) electioneering, and on the other hand giving voters some idea of whatever difference there maybe between candidates.

Without a statement, how am I - or anyone - supposed to choose?

regards, Rod Dalitz (CEng MIEE FInstP)
rod.dalitz@blueyonder.co.uk
 27 June 2011 09:12 PM

rossall

If I may say so, that takes us back to the original question. The candidates' statements are on the voting Web site.

David Rossall
 27 June 2011 09:30 PM

roddalitz

Yes, agreed, but not the same as avoiding electioneering. I found the statements, but it is not easy to figure out who to vote for.

regards, Rod Dalitz (CEng MIEE FInstP)
rod.dalitz@blueyonder.co.uk
 27 June 2011 10:38 PM

rossall

As a member of staff, I can't really comment on the details of this year's statements and election process. However, please feed back that you would like more or different information in order to make a decision. This can only help for future years.

Regards

David Rossall
 28 June 2011 11:50 AM

keithgparr

Additionally, what about the criteria used to make your selection? Should it be "someone who will represent my interests", or "someone well placed to further the aims of the IET", or "someone I know and trust", or "someone who has the right skills for the job", or ...

And the candidates' statements ought to be written with this objective, whichever is the "right" one, in mind.

As you say, Rod, it's not easy to know who to vote for!

Keith

Keith Parr
Council 2006-10
Consultants' Professional Network - 2009
Benelux LN - 2009
http://keithparr.tel/
 28 June 2011 01:00 PM

westonpa

Originally posted by: rossall

As a member of staff, I can't really comment on the details of this year's statements and election process. However, please feed back that you would like more or different information in order to make a decision. This can only help for future years.

Regards

Maybe a section where some questions can be asked by members and which each candidate can be given 5 each, for example, and then write their answers with their statements.

Regards.
 28 June 2011 01:24 PM

afwilson

Such an arrangement was trialed for two years, then discontinued because the number of members who took part was in single figures. The current arrangement is to allow candidates to write a 300 word statement, in which they can of course answer the questions they anticipate from the voting members.

Originally posted by: westonpa

Maybe a section where some questions can be asked by members and which each candidate can be given 5 each, for example, and then write their answers with their statements.

Andrew F Wilson
 29 June 2011 08:10 AM

tickner

I must say many thanks to everyone for managing to push this slightly off topic

Thanks Andrew for actually answering my question. I'm happy that I'm not sacrificing some trees for an IET election but my feedback here would be:

I would of liked to see downloadable pdf's of the candidate statements on the IET website such that I can down load and read the information over the course of a day or two rather then having to read it all at once.

Mark Tickner CEng MIET
 29 June 2011 02:20 PM

afwilson

It is possible to download the candidate statements from the voting website, log-out, read the statements, then return to the voting website later to vote.

What cannot be done is to view the candidate statements for a particular ballot after having voted. The site only shows the candidate statements for those ballots in which one has not yet voted.

The IET can provide copies of candidate statements to any member who wanted to retain them, but did not realise until too late that they had missed the opportunity.

Andrew F Wilson
 05 July 2011 02:40 PM

tonysung

Originally posted by: afwilson

The candidate statements are on the voting website. They have not been sent to you separately.

Andrew

I've voted on a few contests. But where is election of ordinary member for Asia Pacific Regional Board? Please advise.

Thanks

Tony Sung
 05 July 2011 03:08 PM

afwilson

We need more information in order to answer your question. Please contact governance@theiet.org for assistance.

Originally posted by: tonysung
I've voted on a few contests. But where is election of ordinary member for Asia Pacific Regional Board? Please advise.

Andrew F Wilson
 19 July 2011 02:29 PM

rbeahan

To mbirdi:

The article you refer to was organised by the Royal Academy to promote their new President. Whilst the article did not mention the IET, it was helpful as it helps to raise the issues that face the engineering sector as a whole.

The IET continues to contribute to public debates. Recent examples include IET energy experts speaking on BBC Radio 4 and in the national print media, Policy Director Dr Tony Whitehead commenting on the Government's immigration cap and its effect on engineering, and the health effects of mobile phones.

Anticipated upcoming coverage is likely to include the publication of our annual skills survey. Coverage of this has already been achieved in the Daily Telegraph, and further national media coverage is anticipated this week.

Whenever we talk with journalists we always use the opportunity to share our corporate messages so that the important issues can be raised in the public arena and awareness improved.

Regards
Robert Beahan
IET Press Officer
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.