Increase font size
Topic Title: Membership of the forum and the IET
Topic Summary: Can anyone join?
Created On: 09 May 2011 06:22 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09 May 2011 06:22 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

rossall

Discussions in the acceptable postings thread in the Wiring and the Regulations category have moved onto whether anyone can take part here. The answer is yes, but for clarity I am moving the discussions here, so that the original thread can stick to its purpose.

-------------------------
David Rossall
The Institution of Engineering and Technology
 09 May 2011 06:23 PM

sparkingchip

A note to Jason Jenkins regards his post:
"One question for the moderator, can anyone join the IET forum?, I would have thought only members of the Institute would only be allowed, and with being a member comes a certain sense of respect for fellow professionals, hence I am suprised there has been recent problems if this is the case.

I thought it was only open for members but your comments about deleting spam daily appears to suggest this forum is open to anyone. "

Anyone can go to the IET local group meetings, I took my wife to one in the autumn, a training session with an IET trainer, all free. The IET is a educational charity, so has free access to it's meetings and some other facilities.

I have paid a membership the last two years having had a year of going to selected meetings free of charge I thought it correct to sign up, but when there was a show of hands when it was asked at one meeting how many atending are members it was less than half

The IET is not actually all about money!!

Andy

Edited: 09 May 2011 at 09:43 PM by sparkingchip
 09 May 2011 06:23 PM

ant1uk

I'm interested in what your paying? and what are you getting for your money? What advantage is there been a member? By the way I'm not a member which is why I am asking.
 09 May 2011 06:24 PM

perspicacious

"I'm interested in what your paying? and what are you getting for your money? What advantage is there been a member? By the way I'm not a member which is why I am asking." ant1uk

One and two clicks from the top of this screen

Regards

BOD

http://www.theiet.org/membership/advantages/index.cfm

sparkingchip

The first local group meeting I went to was a talk on the revisions to the wiring regs. around three years ago, which was advertised with flyers on the counters at local electrical wholesalers, there was all the usual IET members plus a selection of local electricians with a speaker from the IET explaining the origin of some of the regs. as well as the main points about them. A excellent meeting and as a result I carried going on to some of the meetings, after a year or so I felt it was time to sign up and did so as a associate member. A member of the IET council has offered to go through obtaining technician membership with me though I have not done so as yet, it is still on the to do list. Yes you can get some membership benefits for free, but after a year of doing so it did feel appropriate to pay up, though half those attending some local group meetings have been doing so for a few years without paying up.

Andy

Ps. theres always tea, coffee and biscuits as well, isn't there Bod?

perspicacious

"Ps. theres always tea, coffee and biscuits as well, isn't there Bod?"

I expect mine will be stale as haven't attended for a while. Help yourself to mine Andy

I think my IET fees are around £200.............

"I took my wife to one in the autumn a training session with a IET trainer, all free."

You certainly know how to spoil the ladies

Regards

BOD

ant1uk

I think the price of the regs books keeps the IET in a good supply of tea and biscuits.
 09 May 2011 06:38 PM

rossall

aelectricity - you have a point, so I have moved the "off-topic" discussions here, where they are better placed, and locked the other thread. Sorry that this process does strange things to the posting dates, but the sequence of messages is correct.

Quoting can be an issue. In general, I would suggest avoiding it if it simply repeats what appears on the same thread, one or two messages earlier. I am not using it in this message because readers need only scroll one message or two to see why I am responding (unlike in email). However, picking out the specific part of a message to which you are replying is sometimes helpful. The worst is when every message repeats every other, so you have to read the first message where it is quoted in every subsequent one (I exaggerate)

sparkingchip - yes, many IET activities are open to non-members, in line with the IET's remit to share and advance knowledge. The IET has a wide range of activities, serving members, non-members, the profession and society in general.

David Rossall
 09 May 2011 09:12 PM

roddalitz

Quoting - and a lot of other practice - is well covered in RFC-1855, see www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html

Unfortunately Microsoft never read it, and built up "top-posting" with a huge long mail trail, into a bad standard practice.

regards, Rod Dalitz (CEng MIEE FInstP)
rod.dalitz@blueyonder.co.uk
 09 May 2011 09:54 PM

sparkingchip

Well! I've never been to this part of the site before.

Andy
 09 May 2011 11:46 PM

rossall

Andy - pleased to have introduced you to a new area

This is for general feedback on IET services (such as "Can anyone use the forums?", or "Why does the site work like this?", or "How can I renew my subscriptions?"), as opposed to discussion of installation-related matters.

Rod - there's a good discussion of quoting/posting styles in Wikipedia. Personally, I've never been a fan of routine bottom-posting, because you have to re-read the whole message trail first; if you are already familiar with the discussion, it gets complicated to scan for the new information. However, I can see how top-posting leads to over-quoting in email by reducing the incentive to tidy up. Not sure you can lay this one at Microsoft's door; I was top-posting (but with editing of the message trail) long before I used Outlook.

Interleaving and very selective quoting is the way to go, for me.

RFC 1855 is old, but yes, still very applicable.

David Rossall
 10 May 2011 10:29 PM

sparkingchip

Carry on like this and you will break my habit of wandering off the subject!

I really do try to avoid cutting and pasting also reproducing quotes, it does you good to skim back through a post as things get misquoted and fiction starts to become fact if you are not careful, better to read it for your self and make your own mind up.

Andy
 02 June 2011 05:54 PM

rossall

Those interested in netiquette might like to take a look at the IET's good practice guide. This is aimed at e-mail rather than forums, but many practices transfer with some adaptation.

Regards

David Rossall
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.