Topic Title: Goodbye IET
Topic Summary:
Created On: 31 March 2011 02:05 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 31 March 2011 02:05 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

davidgrant00

This month I've had 2 phone calls from IET asking if I'd like to renew my membership. My answer to both was "No, as a retired person I cannot justify spending even the reduced fee of £95 from my lower income on something of little direct benefit to me." Goodbye IET.
 02 April 2011 12:18 AM

sfchew

Hi David,

What will make you change your mind?

If it is a reduced subscription rate, what will it be ?

Regards
Chris Chew
 02 April 2011 03:04 PM

bpsbrooks

David
Forgive me for interceding in this thread (although I expect that you expected some discussion to emerge from your message). At a time when we are trying to encourage more engineers to join, to stay, and to become active, it is sad when someone decides to leave - hence the purpose of the calls is to learn the reasons for a resignation, and to see what might persuade individuals to stay.

Whilst affordability is always a difficult test, and is obviously subjective, the IET does depend to a large extent on retired members who have time to spare to support a wide range of our activities. So, being a member is not just about what the benefits that each of us receives, but what opportunities there are to help others (being a mentor or a PRA, for instance). Without knowing your personal circumstances - nor would you wish to air those in public here - is there something that you would still be interested in doing with the IET?

And, Chris Chew asks a pertinent question as the answer might inform the thinking in the Professional Home for Life programme of work at the moment. The retired phase of life is one when each of us has to review the balance of our activities and decide where to remain engaged with various communities.

If you wish to chat further, please send me a private message. if not, good luck with your retirement.

-------------------------
Barry Brooks
CEng FIET
President (2013-14)
Twitter: @ietpresident
 04 April 2011 07:47 AM

tickner

Originally posted by: sfchew
Hi David,

What will make you change your mind?

If it is a reduced subscription rate, what will it be ?

Regards
Chris Chew

As a non-retired member the current levels of subscription are making me re-consider membership each January!!

Considering the value I get out of the institution, perhaps £70 for a non-retired member would be more sensible?

Mark Tickner CEng MIET
 04 April 2011 10:38 AM

roddalitz

Since I joined the IEE, the subscriptions structure has changed enormously.
In 1990, members with over 25 years paid subscription paid NOTHING.
In 1997 members with 25 years and less than £5250 annual income paid nothing, members with 25 years and higher income paid £17 instead of £87, that is 19.5%.
In 2002 members with 25 years and under £6000 income paid nothing, with 25 years and over £6000 paid £19 instead of £101, that is 18.8%.
In 2003, members with under £7150 income paid:
- 15 to 25 years, 50%
- 25 to 50 years, 25%, except if under £6150 income then nothing
- over 50 years, nothing
and all members with under £7650 paid 50%

In 2011 members pay 50% if
- annual income under £24000
- retired, over 65, and more than 10 years paid membership

So broadly up to 2003 older members with long service paid less than 20% or nothing; now members may justify 50%.

Looking at this from a completely different angle, statistics from 2007 show that the mean length of service of those who left the IET in Scotland was 6 years. Out of about 8,500 members there were 855 leavers, that is 10% churn. Out of 855, only 168 had more than 25 years service.

So it looks as though the IET would not lose much by reducing fees for long-standing (loyal) members, instead of increasing those fees.

regards, Rod Dalitz (CEng MIEE FInstP)
rod.dalitz@blueyonder.co.uk
 06 April 2011 04:58 PM

Jim Harden

Barry

For me it is simple. As one who was not a memeber of IEE at the time as the formation of IET I feel like a second class member. When one "googles" IET the definition given is "IET formally IEE" no mention of IEEIE. I thought it was part of the merger. We mere members of IEEIE were asured that we would recieve parity with our IEE "friends". How foollish were we to believe these lies. Perhaps the former IEEIE members should be seking a rebate!!!!!

The IET is elitist and out of touch with its non Chartered members.

Jim Harden
 06 April 2011 06:16 PM

mbirdi

Originally posted by: Jim Harden
The IET is elitist and out of touch with its non Chartered members.

Never mind Jim.

Look on the bright side. At least they've put the proceedings from the sale of the IEEIE Assets to good use. And the Chefs haven't done too bad either.

Edited: 06 April 2011 at 06:30 PM by mbirdi
 07 April 2011 10:19 AM

rossall

Originally posted by: Jim Harden

When one "googles" IET the definition given is "IET formally IEE" no mention of IEEIE.

For information, Google uses entries from the Open Directory Project in its search results. It is unclear to me whether that entry was submitted by an IET member/staff member, or created by an ODP volunteer unconnected with the IET.

I have submitted an update, and also we are looking at updating the home page design to over-ride the ODP entry with one provided directly from the IET site.

Regards

David Rossall
The Institution of Engineering and Technology
 07 April 2011 11:31 AM

Jim Harden

David,

Thanks for your "prompt" reply. Why has it take so long for this "glitch" to be addressed. Refer to previous comments. Former IEEIE members are not treated with equality
 07 April 2011 11:51 AM

danielscott

I am still waiting for the Forum, just out of respect for the Mechanicals that have joined the IET with the merger, to add a specific topic area just for the Mechanicals, and over time if it appears that it doesn't get much use, delete it.

Simple isn't it, instead of suggesting we use the General and or Manufacturing discussion areas.

Daniel
 07 April 2011 12:01 PM

Jim Harden

Do you realy expect your thoughts to count Daniel? I take it you were a former member of the IEEIE not the IEE. All the IET is interested in is getting your fees.

Jim
 07 April 2011 05:11 PM

danielscott

I was a former IIE member.
 19 May 2011 03:46 AM

mike.mcclory

Originally posted by: roddalitz

Since I joined the IEE, the subscriptions structure has changed enormously.

In 1990, members with over 25 years paid subscription paid NOTHING.

In 1997 members with 25 years and less than £5250 annual income paid nothing, members with 25 years and higher income paid £17 instead of £87, that is 19.5%.

In 2002 members with 25 years and under £6000 income paid nothing, with 25 years and over £6000 paid £19 instead of £101, that is 18.8%.

In 2003, members with under £7150 income paid:

- 15 to 25 years, 50%

- 25 to 50 years, 25%, except if under £6150 income then nothing

- over 50 years, nothing

and all members with under £7650 paid 50%

In 2011 members pay 50% if

- annual income under £24000

- retired, over 65, and more than 10 years paid membership

So broadly up to 2003 older members with long service paid less than 20% or nothing; now members may justify 50%.

Looking at this from a completely different angle, statistics from 2007 show that the mean length of service of those who left the IET in Scotland was 6 years. Out of about 8,500 members there were 855 leavers, that is 10% churn. Out of 855, only 168 had more than 25 years service.

So it looks as though the IET would not lose much by reducing fees for long-standing (loyal) members, instead of increasing those fees.
Increasingly I am looking at the IET membership and realising that it is a one way street. When you are a member of the 'in-crowd' it's great, when you are not so active it doesn't care what your views are. I am seriously looking at ISPE because of the community I work in. I can't see me being so open ot the IET
 22 June 2011 05:51 PM

riplem

It's so sad that retired people with a lot of experience are leaving the IET due to the financial cost in hard times. I retired last year and will have to think hard about finding the fees for this year when there are so many other things that need addressing. It would be interesting to know what it actually costs the IET in financial terms to keep these retired members, perhaps it would be worth charging a break even sum to retain them. After all these people have more time to contribute when they are retired and I am sure that they would like to keep in contact with their profession having contributed a lifetime of dedication. Come on IET work something out before it's to late.
 22 June 2011 06:23 PM

StewartTaylor

As a fully paying member, not even particularly close to retirement, I agree with riplem. But if there really is a cost issue, why not have a 'stripped-down' low-cost membership class for retired members - no E&T or Member News (they can read those on-line), no diary, no mail-shots advertising courses and seminars. They would still have access to all the on-line content and be able to attend events and contribute to IET activities. The incremental cost of such a member must be pretty low and these are people that have the time to make a significant contribution.

Or is it just going to be like a rented property - a 'Home for Life' as long as you can pay the rent?

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
 28 August 2011 06:35 PM

MikeWrigley

David, if you got two phone calls that was one more than I got. The preson who called me had no idea of what my past contribution to the Institution had been but simply asked if I would like to remain a member. My reply was, "Why?"

She couldn't give me any answer!

This really surprised me but maybe it shouldn't have done. Anyone fulfilling that role in a "normal" company would have answers ready for any foreseeable objection raised on the phone.

I paid a few weeks later but I am still wondering why!

Mike Wrigley
Past Chairman, French Network
 05 September 2011 11:42 AM

Aitken1953

I think Membership with IET and Registration with EC are good value, would be nice to have a membership card saying what level we are at
 08 September 2011 09:18 AM

faramog

Originally posted by: mbirdi

Maybe this is a sign the IET is nothing more than a dinosaur charging its members for the up keep of buildings, fancy catering facilities, salaries and pensions for the hierarchy.

http://www.iaeng.org/

And why is this worth anything ? Its an online application. conferring 'senior' and 'fellow' by invitation. It is clearly biased to universities with a long list of professor this and that.

Eur Ing Graham Prebble CEng MIEE
 08 September 2011 12:19 PM

hamishbell

Maybe "free", but costly to submit a paper!
Regards
Hamish

Hamish V Bell, BSc, CEng, FIET, FCQI, CQP
2007 - 2010, Vice President and Trustee
 10 September 2011 08:22 AM

SAVIO

Will the staff of IET call you when you stop paying the membership subscription?
IET » Feedback and questions » Goodbye IET

1 2 3 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.